DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd December 2020
New User

Default amdgpu

i have a polaris gpu, an rx570 that after the initial install and boot, downloads amdgpu and promptly freezes to blank screen on any subsequent boot.

in freebsd or linux distros i can set the grub "nomodeset" command and that allows regular use, but dont recall what i did to fix this on previous openbsd installs or if its a new issue entirely.

would appreciate some ideas on this, search did not yield expected results.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd December 2020
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
downloads amdgpu
I presume you are referring to fw_update(1)?

Which version of OpenBSD are you using? You might need -current for that card, although it should be supported by the amdgpu firmware tarball for the 6.8 -release & -stable versions (which is dated 2020-06-19 and contains Polaris files).

I suppose you could boot from the ramdisk kernel then delete the files under /etc/firmware/amdgpu/ and make the directory immutable so that fw_update(1) will fail but that seems hacky in the extreme and will leave you without a functional GPU. Note that the nomodeset kernel parameter would also prevent the GPU from working under GNU/Linux because AMD cards require kernel mode setting so it isn't really a solution under that operating system.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd December 2020
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_on_a_Stick View Post
I presume you are referring to fw_update(1)?

Which version of OpenBSD are you using? You might need -current for that card, although it should be supported by the amdgpu firmware tarball for the 6.8 -release & -stable versions (which is dated 2020-06-19 and contains Polaris files).

I suppose you could boot from the ramdisk kernel then delete the files under /etc/firmware/amdgpu/ and make the directory immutable so that fw_update(1) will fail but that seems hacky in the extreme and will leave you without a functional GPU. Note that the nomodeset kernel parameter would also prevent the GPU from working under GNU/Linux because AMD cards require kernel mode setting so it isn't really a solution under that operating system.
I'm using 6.8.. i can bypass loading amdgpu from boot -c and still get a display but then no screens are available for xorg.

not fw_update, but the initial boot after slicing up the drive and installing system components. that boot works fine and installs amdgpu automatically and directs users to install security updates. but then the next boot amdgpu is loaded after the kernel loads all drivers and instead of the screen adjusting to a higher resolution it goes blank/black with a tinge of backlighting.

this happens with many distros and by adding nomodeset to grub it resolves the issue and amdgpu may be run without issue. openbsd does not utilize grub so i'm at a loss.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd December 2020
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

Quote:
I'm using 6.8
Try -current then.

Quote:
this happens with many distros and by adding nomodeset to grub it resolves the issue
No, it doesn't. The amdgpu driver requires kernel mode setting. If you can get to a graphical desktop after applying that parameter then it's probably using the VESA driver, which will give terrible performance.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th December 2020
New User

with openbsd installed i'm not that demanding on gpu performance.. i'd much rather have a stable and secure workable system.

upgraded to current with no change

tried some bios settings too to no avail.

was running fine early in the year i wonder if i roll back the version it may help.

meantime if anyone has suggestions..... i have tried all displyport/hdmi/dvi ports on the gpu.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th December 2020
More noise than signal

Please post your dmesg(8).