DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

Old 12th October 2018
Port Guard

Code:
man: outdated mandoc.db lacks inxi(1) entry, run makewhatis /usr/share/man
that's an example of a small variance, in the Linux man install it updates the man db using some command, but I didn't even know about this one. I just tested and found that error, I'd missed it since it's above the man output in OpenBSD. Then there's the question of if that is an OpenBSD tool or if all the BSDs have it.

The intention is that the man db is updated post install to make sure it's up to date.

So you can see, in your single example, you have an unknown OpenBSD disk data syntax or structure variant, not corrected since I don't know what it is and can't reproduce it, you have the now fixed Memory glitch, and you have the man db update issue, and that's just from one single system that is slightly different from my test systems.
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2 View Post
there's very little reason to create different ports between the various BSDs,
There are multiple huge reasons why there must be different ports between the various BSDs. A port written for FreeBSD won't work on OpenBSD and won't work on pkgsrc and all the other permutations of that.
Old 13th October 2018
Port Guard

Thanks for confirming, I half assumed there would be huge differences, but hoped there wouldn't be. I should in general assume that things will be different, not the same, I guess.

With that said, packaging two simple text files should not present any particular challenge to anyone familiar with the processes and tools. Once this is scripted, updating a port/package should only take a few minutes, if that long.
Arp Constable

This is a little late but sysutils/dmidecode does a very verbose job of interrogating hardware.
Old 13th October 2018
parrot

RE:
Quote:
man: outdated mandoc.db lacks inxi(1) entry, run makewhatis /usr/share/man
I had not noticed that, but any way, running :
Code:
makewhatis /usr/share/man
has fixed that.

Code:
garry% man inxi
INXI(1)                           inxi manual                          INXI(1)

NAME
       inxi  - Command line system information script for console and IRC

SYNOPSIS
       inxi

inxi [-AbBCdDfFGhiIlmMnNopPrRsSuUVwzZ]---snip----
I mentioned earlier in the this thread, about not really having time to do anything with porting, also the lack of tech knowledge/skill being a factor. Ibara has done a lot with making some tutorial videos, etc. to help on the "learning curve" part, but again how much free time I get is a factor,
any way, again I want to thank you for taking the time on this. Before, all I had was really just the inxi script, and I did not have the manual. I may have some questions later, but obviously I need to read the manual first, and see if maybe those questions are answered in the manual.

Quote:
you have an unknown OpenBSD disk data syntax or structure variant, not corrected since I don't know what it is and can't reproduce it,
I don't know if the manual will cover this or not, I am not sure how I would go about getting that information my self, it may be something I have configured poorly or wrong, any way, to me this is interesting. Thanks
==== edit =======
Quote:
h2>> With that said, packaging two simple text files should not present any particular challenge to anyone familiar with the processes and tools.
I have not yet really tried any kind of porting, all though I did start reading some of the instructions, etc. And downloaded some of what is needed. NOT making any promises here, and if someone else beats me to it, that would be fine, but any way, it seems like this might be a good 1st time project for me,.. we'll just have to see on that.

Last edited by PapaParrot; 13th October 2018 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Posts while I was writing, additional comment
Old 13th October 2018
Port Guard

For some reason, don't ask me why, I was struck when a TinyCore guy suggested I make a tcz tce package of inxi. So eventually I got around to it, and will submit the first one as soon as I finalize inxi 3.0.27 since it has some meaningful fixes in it for tinycore. In that case, the documentation was not very good, sometimes out of date, and sometimes misleading, and the process of actually making a tinycore tce package is not that easy given what that tiny thing is technically, but I got it working eventually. I think.

A BSD port should be much easier I believe, better documentation, and far easier to work with build environment. From my perspective, I'd never take on such a thing without fully scripting it so all I had to do was run the script, then submit the built port using whatever process the BSD in question has. If that last part could be automated, I'd do that too.

inxi is looking for openbsd disk data using openbsd specific syntax, I believe the following command should give the information, unless the syntax has changed even more:

Code:
grep -E 'sector|removable' /var/run/dmesg.boot
paste the resulting lines in here verbatim and I can debug it.

I'd like to get that fixed before doing 3.0.27 since I don't like releasing a new inxi with a known failure, even if it's not my fault.

I installed OpenBSD 6.3 in vm and don't see any changes in syntax, and disk size report works as expected, but that's just one instance.

ps, I've also had some very fine parrot friends, including budgies, which act the same as, and are really just mini, parrots. But also big ones.

Last edited by h2; 13th October 2018 at 04:44 AM.
Old 13th October 2018
parrot

Code:
garry% grep -E 'sector|removable' /var/run/dmesg.boot
sd0: 715404MB, 512 bytes/sector, 1465149168 sectors
cd0 at scsibus1 targ 1 lun 0: <HL-DT-ST, DVD+-RW GH50N, B104> ATAPI 5/cdrom removable
garry%
Thanks

I had a pair of budgies as well, but I guess best not go into that here, how ever the Parrots are what take up most of my time.
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
From my perspective, I'd never take on such a thing without fully scripting it so all I had to do was run the script, then submit the built port using whatever process the BSD in question has. If that last part could be automated, I'd do that too.
This part can be automated if inxi is available on CPAN. At least for OpenBSD.
Old 13th October 2018
Port Guard

GarryR, if you try pinxi (shortcut download url: smxi.org/pinxi) the disk issue should be corrected, it was a variant on the ordering of the string values for disk in dmesg.boot. This is why in general I avoid as much as possible all data structures that are not meant for machine parsing, they can and do change randomly since there is no assumption that the string values (sentences) are actually going to be used as real data.

Code:
pinxi -Ipdxxxz
This will confirm everything is working as expected.

ibara, inxi is not in cpan, nor do I expect that to ever change.

By scripting, I meant, in pseudocode:

grab latest files
read inxi file, get version, update version data
make builder with correct paths
compress file into desired format
upload port
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
ibara, inxi is not in cpan, nor do I expect that to ever change.

By scripting, I meant, in pseudocode:

grab latest files
read inxi file, get version, update version data
make builder with correct paths
compress file into desired format
upload port
Yes, and we have a script that does exactly this, but only for things in cpan.
Old 13th October 2018
Port Guard

Changing download urls should not present any challenges. As I said, I've never had any thought or desire re putting inxi into cpan, I don't see any upside for me there at all. It's just a piece of software, like any other, except simple files, no compiling. Plus it only became Perl recently, relatively speaking, which is actually one reason I was able to start enhancing BSD support much more, just was not practical in the legacy version of inxi.
OpenBSD language porter

I mean, I am not offering to make any ports of inxi. At least for me, I'm also not actually talking to you, h2 (mostly); I'm trying to encourage those on these forums that appear to be users of your software to make a port.
Old 13th October 2018
Port Guard

Yes, I'm talking to those users too, pointing out that it's actually trivial to do it if you script it. But it's also easy to just install it and run it, so it's no big deal either way to me. Since the -U flag always works, it's basically an 'install once, run forever' tool, unless the location is overwritten in system upgrades. But if I can figure out how to make a TCE package, which is hard, weird, and convoluted, and very poorly documented, with a very strange build environment, anyone should be able to figure out how to make a simple port.

[update]Here's an almost verbatim example of how to create a package from a man page and a shell script file, which is basically the same thing as packaging inxi, except that you'd have to handle the dependencies of Perl 5 (any perl 5 >= 5.008) and recommended programs etc.

https://undeadly.org/cgi?action=arti...20080318060000

This is my tce build script: https://smxi.org/in/tcbi

I have to download it each time due to how tinycore works (runs in ram), but it give the rough logic of grab file, get version number, create build directory, squash build directory, create required files, then compress it all.

This is probably maybe 2x more steps that would be required by a normal package I'd guess. Note that because tinycore is, well, tiny, they discourage adding man pages, so i didn't. But it would just be one more file grab and move to share directory.

Last edited by h2; 13th October 2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 14th October 2018
parrot

Quote:
h2> GarryR, if you try pinxi (shortcut download url: smxi.org/pinxi) the disk issue should be corrected, --snip--
Ok, thanks , I will take a look at it later, I am not feeling very well right now,and it's late for me.
Kind of off topic, but I am curious , how did you stumble on to this topic ? And also welcome to the forum , I see you just joined recently.
parrot

Here is the output of :
Code:
pinxi -Ipdxxxz >pinxi-output.txt
Code:
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 682.26 GiB 
  used: 68.45 GiB (10.0%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sd0 vendor: Hitachi 
  model: HUA721075KLA330 
  size: 682.26 GiB serial: N/A 
  Optical-1: /dev/cd0 vendor: HL-DT-ST 
  model: DVD+-RW GH50N rev: B104 
  dev-links: N/A 
  Features: speed: N/A 
  multisession: N/A audio: N/A 
  dvd: yes rw: cd-rw,dvd-r state: N/A 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 1004.8 MiB 
  used: 91.9 MiB (9.1%) fs: local 
  dev: /dev/sd0a 
  ID-2: /home size: 496.05 GiB 
  used: 62.47 GiB (12.6%) fs: local 
  dev: /dev/sd0k 
  ID-3: /tmp size: 3.93 GiB 
  used: 848 KiB (0.0%) fs: local 
  dev: /dev/sd0d 
  ID-4: /usr size: 1.97 GiB 
  used: 749.3 MiB (37.2%) fs: local 
  dev: /dev/sd0f 
  ID-5: /usr/X11R6 size: 1004.8 MiB 
  used: 178.7 MiB (17.8%) fs: local 
  dev: /dev/sd0g 
  ID-6: /usr/local size: 9.84 GiB 
  used: 4.67 GiB (47.5%) fs: local 
  dev: /dev/sd0h 
  ID-7: /usr/obj size: 5.90 GiB 
  used: 2 KiB (0.0%) fs: local 
  dev: /dev/sd0j 
  ID-8: /usr/src size: 1.97 GiB 
  used: 2 KiB (0.0%) fs: local 
  dev: /dev/sd0i 
  ID-9: /var size: 9.73 GiB 
  used: 311.5 MiB (3.1%) fs: local 
  dev: /dev/sd0e 
  ID-10: swap-1 size: 3.20 GiB 
  used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap 
  dev: /dev/sd0b 
Info:
  Processes: 60 Uptime: 34m 
  Memory: 2.95 GiB 
  used: 685.0 MiB (22.7%) 
  Init: init (BSD) v: N/A Compilers: 
  gcc: 4.2.1 clang: 5.0.1 Shell: csh 
  pinxi: 3.0.26-26
Does the Inxi manual also apply to Pinxi ? this is reduntant, but
Code:
pinixi -F
Code:
garry% pinxi -F
System:    Host: garry.garry.org Kernel: OpenBSD 6.3 amd64 bits: 64 Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 
Machine:   Type: N/A Mobo: Dell model: OptiPlex 780 serial: BSN8BP1 BIOS: Dell v: A06 rev: 2.5 
           date: 11/03/2010 
Battery:   Permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Are you root? 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: N/A 
           Speed: 3000 MHz min/max: N/A Core speeds (MHz): No speed data found for 2 cores. 
Graphics:  Message: Device data requires root. 
           Display: server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: modesetting resolution: 1440x900~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Q45/Q43 v: 2.1 Mesa 13.0.6 
Audio:     Message: Device data requires root. 
Network:   Message: Device data requires root. 
           IF-ID-1: em0 state: active speed: 1000baseT duplex: full-duplex,master mac: f0:4d:a2:27:86:49 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 682.26 GiB used: 68.45 GiB (10.0%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sd0 vendor: Hitachi model: HUA721075KLA330 size: 682.26 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 1004.8 MiB used: 91.9 MiB (9.1%) fs: local dev: /dev/sd0a 
           ID-2: /home size: 496.05 GiB used: 62.47 GiB (12.6%) fs: local dev: /dev/sd0k 
           ID-3: /tmp size: 3.93 GiB used: 482 KiB (0.0%) fs: local dev: /dev/sd0d 
           ID-4: /usr size: 1.97 GiB used: 749.3 MiB (37.2%) fs: local dev: /dev/sd0f 
           ID-5: /var size: 9.73 GiB used: 311.5 MiB (3.1%) fs: local dev: /dev/sd0e 
           ID-6: swap-1 size: 3.20 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sd0b 
Sensors:   Platform: No Openbsd support. Is a comparable sensors tool available? 
Info:      Processes: 63 Uptime: 42m Memory: 2.95 GiB used: 471.0 MiB (15.6%) Shell: csh pinxi: 3.0.26-26 
garry%
Port Guard

pinxi is the development branch of inxi, so the only difference re man page it that the man page might be slightly ahead of the inxi man page re new features or edits. Plus it's man pinxi, not man inxi, of course.

I found this thread searching for inxi things, and then noticed the bug in memory output, then the bug in the disk total size, and wanted to get those resolved. Searching for inxi things is a decent way to proactively fix bugs I notice that never get reported, as in this case, or to see if it's working as expected in various systems and configurations.

inxi has built in error output that can tell me that certain types of internal errors happened, plus the Perl errors I saw show me that something that should have been tested as valid data had not been tested since it's never empty in normal use. So sometimes when I am lucky I can work out the error based on either the Perl error or the value of the field that should be present but isn't without having to get more information, or a debugger dataset, or waiting for a github issue that will probably never get filed.

The question of ports was also interesting, since I don't tend to see a lot of feedback from BSD users, so I don't really have much idea of BSD use of inxi.

The disk total size is fixed, good, so I can do 3.0.27 now, thanks.

Last edited by h2; 14th October 2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 13th April 2021
Port Guard

Default Huge upgrade for OpenBSD

I had completely forgotten I'd done this thread, but came across it searching for something or other, so why not give an update on what's about to come in inxi, and is now in current pinxi?

Due to having a bit too much time on my hands, I'm finishing up a fairly massive BSD upgrade, which if I'm not mistaken, will benefit OpenBSD users the most.

What I've tried to do is fill in as many missing data fields as possible, and fix and make robust all sources, so internally, pinxi is now radically more able to handle the BSD variants, in particular OpenBSD and FreeBSD. It didn't hurt that I also got better at Perl over the past years, which has really helped inxi's ability to take on increasingly complicated tasks.

A major reason I was able to jump up support is a guy has been setting up remote systems for me, one after the other, and I've been able to debug stuff live, which is the only practical way to do this stuff. Already tested on OpenBSD 6.9, so that is working fine out of the box, no issues detected. We've still got a few corner case bits of hardware to handle, some ARM stuff, but he couldn't get openbsd running on his pi 3+, which the openbsd arm page warns about, correctly it seems. BSD ARM SOC support is going to be anemic however because it's not really practical to extend it.

You can test these changes and upgrades if you already have pinxi installed with pinxi -U then whatever, if not, just: grab the file from: https://smxi.org/pinxi which is just a link to the github raw sources, but easier to remember.

Note the following things have been upgraded starting in version 3.3.02 (the soon to come inxi release will be 3.3.04.
  1. pinxi is now Pledged! Was watching a bunch of talks by Theo and company about Pledge, then discovered that the OpenBSD Perl packager created OpenBSD::Pledge (and OpenBSD::Unveil), and the rest, well, it was too tempting to not do. As they said in their talks, if you make a security feature easy to implement, and somewhat interesting and educational to use, devs are more likely to use it. I agree with this, and found that to be the case. Note that after options are processed, things that will not be required are unpledged. I made these as tight as I could, and include comments on the top pledge about what each pledge is for. Unveil is a bit too difficult for the moment due to how inxi works because it doesn't really 'know' what it needs to check until it's well under way.
  2. doas support, fully integrated, native, no difference between doas and sudo now. doas is a really nice tool by the way, well thought out, and easy to configure, unlike sudo. It only took a few minutes to learn how to set it up, unlike sudo, which I will never learn.
  3. Fully integrated softraid support with -R, -d/-D, -o, -p/-P all working, this was largely made possible by a series of major refactors, the RAID feature was totally redone for the 3.2.0 release, which made various logical block device support possible, and totally redid the raid logic, which made adding new software raid types pretty easy. The entire BSD block device data generator is 100% refactored now, and is working really well. Actually better than the linux version, lol, but it's too much work to convert the linux stuff to use a similar method. Getting more accurate storage capacities made implementing softraid support necessary, as well as more accurate unmounted reports, which also require knowing about softraid components etc.
  4. support for sensors and battery data, I found the sysctl sensors and battery data quite clean and easy to work with, so dropping those into existing feature logic was pretty easy. Note that due to the reality of sensors, it usually takes a while to get the report usually right for most users, that's as good as can be hoped for, it's just difficult to deduce which sensor value is connected to which part of the system, sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it's not.

Battery data seems quite solid, that basically is able to use almost the same exact logic other existing internal data sources use, so the results are nice I think. Note that inxi converts all values into Wh to be consistent.
  5. Basic RAM report, I hadn't realized that OpenBSD blocks root reading of /dev/mem by default, which means, dmidecode data even as root or doas always failed on all my systems, so rather than have nothing, I found that in some but not all cases, ram data is available from dmesg, partial data, but better than nothing. I'm not really up on the internals of why some systems show this data, and some don't, but when it works, it's not bad, though I have to have pinxi guess at all the ram array data (total capacity, max per stick, number of slots), but it tells you it's guessing. This makes OpenBSD the only operating system inxi can get real RAM data for not as root/doas/sudo user.
  6. found a way to get the pci drivers, so now network devices are linked to the correct IF, this is working fine for USB and PCI networking. Previously you'd always see the IF stuff listed as IF-ID, which means inxi was unable to match that IF to a device.
  7. A lot of the parsing of data was extremely fragile, and in fact broke because of small changes in the way various data sources presented the data, these rules are now increasingly robust, and less prone to failure, though they will probably need to be tuned, because there is still way too much raw string parsing, and too many places where the data is no available in field/value or file/content pairs, but I was able to make the rules significantly less prone to breakage when syntaxes alter slightly.
  8. A major USB upgrade, which is actually what led me to start doing the BSD upgrades a few months back, I had implemented a new feature, which would help in the BSD USB data significantly, and discovered, much to my chagrine, that a lot of the FreeBSD and OpenBSD syntaxes had changed in usbdevs and usbconfig since I last looked at them, which made me start refactoring those, and one thing led to another, and in the end, I've basically refactored pretty much the entire core of BSD logic internally.

And if things break again in the future, I roughly now know how to implement more permanent fixes to those rules, just takes more code, unfortunately, but that's life. But they will always necessarily be fragile by nature, unless they are using real key:value pairs for the data.
  9. Expanded list of detected VMs, almost forgot that one, just added it in 3.3.03-47, nearly missed vmm and a bunch of others, that's all updated.
  10. Most alert/message type text now is much more accurate about missing data, etc, and reasons why.

Not Handled:
These are items that are not handled with no known data sources:
  1. Per core cpu speeds
  2. number of physical cpus. But the rest of the cpu data is significantly enhanced.
  3. Machine chassis type (with the exception of the just expanded VM detections), that data is only available in dmidecode as far as I know for OpenBSD, so would show with pinxi -M --dmidecode if those permissions are available. Chassis type is probably a data type that is available to the kernel since dmidecode has it, so that could in theory be added in the future if that was exposed in sysctl or dmesg.boot or something, but as of now, it's not available unless dmidecode is used.

Note that dmidecode is always the last choice for data in inxi, it's a fallback used only if no other data sources are available, so also for -m you'd need to use --dmidecode to force the dmidecode data to be used over the dmesg data. I may fine tune this, since I know the dmidecode error that means it can't be used, so that could be made more granular.

This is a vm I used to test softraid and other features, showing the latest stuff:

Code:
System:
  Kernel: OpenBSD 6.8 amd64 bits: 64 compiler: clang v: 10.0.1 Desktop: FVWM 
  dm: xenodm OS: OpenBSD 6.8 
Machine:
  Type: Virtualbox Mobo: innotek model: VirtualBox v: 1.2 serial: N/A 
  uuid: 16d0d837-61e2-4143-b148-5be39e678fcb BIOS: innotek v: VirtualBox 
  rev: 2.5 date: 12/01/2006 
Memory:
  RAM: total: 1.98 GiB used: 1.04 GiB (52.5%) 
  RAM Report: no-data: dmidecode is not allowed to read /dev/mem 
PCI Slots:
  No-data: dmidecode is not allowed to read /dev/mem 
CPU:
  Info: Single Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 bits: 64 type: UP arch: Zen+ 
  family: 17 (23) model-id: 8 stepping: 2 microcode: N/A cache: L1: 64 KiB 
  L2: 512 KiB L3: 16 MiB 
  Speed: 3400 MHz min/max: N/A Core speed (MHz): No per core speed data found. 
  Features: 3dnowp abm aes amcr8 apic avx avx2 cflush clflushopt cmov cmpleg 
  cx16 cx8 de ffxsr fpu fsgsbase fxsr htt itsc lahf long masse mca mce mmx 
  mmxx movbe msr mtrr nxe pae pat pclmul pge popcnt pse pse36 rdrand rdseed 
  rdtscp sep sse sse2 sse3 sse4.1 sse4.2 sse4a ssse3 tsc vme xsave 
  Vulnerabilities: No CPU vulnerability/bugs data available. 
Graphics:
  Device-1: InnoTek VirtualBox Graphics Adapter driver: vga bus-ID: 0:2.0 
  chip-ID: 80ee:beef class-ID: 0300 
  Display: server: X.org 1.20.8 driver: loaded: vesa alternate: vboxvideo 
  Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing. 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 82801AA AC97 driver: auich bus-ID: 0:5.0 chip-ID: 8086:2415 
  class-ID: 0401 
  Sound Server-1: sndio v: N/A running: yes 
Network:
  Device-1: Intel 82540EM driver: em port: N/A bus-ID: 0:3.0 
  chip-ID: 8086:100e class-ID: 0200 
  IF: em0 state: active speed: 1000baseT duplex: full-duplex mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Intel 82371AB Power type: network bridge driver: piixpm port: N/A 
  bus-ID: 0:7.0 chip-ID: 8086:7113 class-ID: 0680 
Bluetooth:
Logical:
  Message: Logical block device feature unsupported in OpenBSD. 
RAID:
  Device-1: sd5 type: softraid level: raid1 status: online state: OK 
  size: 19.99 GiB 
  Components: Online: 
  1: sd0a size: 19.99 GiB device: 0:0.0 
  2: sd1a size: 19.99 GiB device: 0:1.0 
  Device-2: sd6 type: softraid level: raid1 status: online state: OK 
  size: 5 GiB 
  Components: Online: 
  1: sd2a size: 5 GiB device: 1:0.0 
  2: sd3a size: 5 GiB device: 1:1.0 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: raw: 224.27 GiB usable: 199.27 GiB 
  used: 1.56 GiB (0.8%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sd0 vendor: VirtualBox model: VBOX HARDDISK size: 20 GiB 
  block-size: physical: 512 B logical: 512 B serial: <filter> rev: 1.0 
  duid: <filter> scheme: MBR 
  SMART: no 
  ID-2: /dev/sd1 vendor: VirtualBox model: VBOX HARDDISK size: 20 GiB 
  ID-3: /dev/sd2 vendor: VirtualBox model: VBOX HARDDISK size: 30 GiB 
  ID-4: /dev/sd3 vendor: VirtualBox model: VBOX HARDDISK size: 30 GiB 
  ID-5: /dev/sd4 vendor: VirtualBox model: VBOX HARDDISK size: 40 GiB 
  duid: <filter> scheme: GPT 
  ID-6: /dev/sd5 model: SR RAID 1 size: 19.99 GiB block-size: physical: 512 B 
  logical: N/A serial: N/A duid: <filter> scheme: MBR 
  ID-7: /dev/sd6 model: SR RAID 1 size: 5 GiB block-size: physical: 512 B 
  logical: N/A serial: N/A duid: <filter> scheme: MBR 
  ID-8: /dev/wd0 vendor: VirtualBox model: VBOX HARDDISK size: 16 GiB 
  ID-9: /dev/wd1 vendor: VirtualBox model: VBOX HARDDISK size: 48.27 GiB 
  scheme: MBR 
  ID-10: /dev/wd2 vendor: VirtualBox model: VBOX HARDDISK size: 20 GiB 
  Optical-1: /dev/cd0 vendor: VBOX model: CD-ROM rev: 1.0 dev-links: N/A 
  Features: speed: Ultra-DMA mode 2 multisession: N/A audio: N/A dvd: N/A 
  rw: none state: N/A 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 412.9 MiB used: 82.9 MiB (20.1%) fs: ffs dev: /dev/wd0a 
  ID-2: /home size: 2.55 GiB used: 25.6 MiB (1.0%) fs: ffs dev: /dev/wd0k 
  ID-3: /tmp size: 545.5 MiB used: 12 KiB (0.0%) fs: ffs dev: /dev/wd0d 
  ID-4: /usr size: 1.94 GiB used: 1.08 GiB (55.8%) fs: ffs dev: /dev/wd0f 
  ID-5: /usr/X11R6 size: 530.2 MiB used: 234.1 MiB (44.1%) fs: ffs 
  dev: /dev/wd0g 
  ID-6: /usr/local size: 1.76 GiB used: 137.5 MiB (7.6%) fs: ffs 
  dev: /dev/wd0h 
  ID-7: /usr/obj size: 5.05 GiB used: 2 KiB (0.0%) fs: ffs dev: /dev/wd0j 
  ID-8: /usr/src size: 1.34 GiB used: 2 KiB (0.0%) fs: ffs dev: /dev/wd0i 
  ID-9: /var size: 782.1 MiB used: 10 MiB (1.3%) fs: ffs dev: /dev/wd0e 
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 639.7 MiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) 
  dev: /dev/wd0b label: N/A uuid: N/A 
Unmounted:
  ID-1: /dev/sd2b size: 5 GiB fs: ffs 
  ID-2: /dev/sd3b size: 5 GiB fs: ffs 
  ID-3: /dev/sd4a size: 8.01 GiB fs: ffs 
  ID-4: /dev/sd4b size: 8.01 GiB fs: ext2fs label: N/A uuid: N/A 
  ID-5: /dev/sd5a size: 19.99 GiB fs: ffs 
  ID-6: /dev/sd6a size: 5 GiB fs: ffs 
USB:
  Hub-1: 0-01:01 info: Apple OHCI root hub ports: 12 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s 
  chip-ID: 106b:0000 
Sensors:
Repos:
  Packages: pkg_info: 39 lib: 7 
  OpenBSD pkg mirror: /etc/installurl 
  1: https://cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD
Info:
  Processes: 45 Uptime: 11h 42m Init: init (BSD) v: N/A tool: rcctl Compilers: 
  gcc: 4.2.1 clang: 10.0.1 Shell: sh (doas) default: ksh v: 5.2.14_99/07/13.2 
  running-in: tty p1 pinxi: 3.3.03-45
And this is a live system, laptop. Yes, it has a dead battery, lol, voltage critically low, that battery is no more, it has ceased to exist. It is an ex battery.

Code:
$ doas pinxi -yzv8 
System:
  Kernel: OpenBSD 6.8 amd64 bits: 64 compiler: clang v: 10.0.1 Console: tty p0 
Machine:
  Type: N/A Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: HP Pavilion 11 x360 PC 
  v: 0975100002405F00010420180 serial: <filter> 
  uuid: 4c8f718d-3d7a-11e4-b2a0-3464a9c439eb BIOS: Insyde v: F.14 rev: 2.7 
  date: 07/28/2014 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 0 Wh (0.0%) condition: 19.8/29.0 Wh (68.1%) volts: 5.65 
  min: 7.60 model: N/A type: N/A serial: N/A status: idle 
Memory:
  RAM: total: 3.88 GiB used: 1.29 GiB (33.2%) 
  Array-1: capacity: 4 GiB note: est. slots: 1 note: est. EC: N/A 
  max-module-size: 4 GiB note: est. 
  Device-1: Slot-1 size: 4 GiB speed: 1600 MT/s type: DDR3 detail: PC3-12800 
PCI Slots:
  No-data: dmidecode is not allowed to read /dev/mem 
CPU:
  Info: Quad Core model: Intel Pentium N3540 bits: 64 type: MCP 
  arch: Silvermont family: 6 model-id: 37 (55) stepping: 8 microcode: N/A 
  cache: L2: 4 MiB 
  Speed: 2159 MHz min/max: 498/2159 MHz 
  Core speeds (MHz): No per core speed data found. 
  Features: 3dnowp acpi apic arat cflush cmov cx16 cx8 de deadline ds ds-cpl 
  dtes64 erms est fpu fxsr htt ibpb ibrs itsc lahf long mca mce md_clear 
  meltdown mmx movbe msr mtrr mwait nxe pae pat pbe pclmul pdcm perf pge 
  popcnt pse pse36 rdrand rdtscp sensor sep smep ss sse sse2 sse3 sse4.1 
  sse4.2 ssse3 stibp tm tm2 tsc tsc_adjust vme vmx xtpr 
  Vulnerabilities: No CPU vulnerability/bugs data available. 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Bay Trail Video driver: inteldrm bus-ID: 0:2.0 
  chip-ID: 8086:0f31 class-ID: 0300 
  Device-2: DECTK019I7C6HM HP Truevision HD type: USB driver: uvideo 
  bus-ID: 0-02:02 chip-ID: 0bda:5776 serial: <filter> 
  Display: server: X.org 1.20.8 driver: loaded: inteldrm 
  note: n/a (using device driver) tty: 147x51 
  Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing. 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Bay Trail HD Audio driver: azalia bus-ID: 0:27.0 
  chip-ID: 8086:0f04 class-ID: 0403 
  Sound Server-1: sndio v: N/A running: yes 
Network:
  Device-1: Ralink RT3290 driver: ral port: N/A bus-ID: 2:0.0 
  chip-ID: 1814:3290 class-ID: 0280 
  IF: ral0 state: no network mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Realtek 8101E driver: re port: N/A bus-ID: 4:0.0 
  chip-ID: 10ec:8136 class-ID: 0200 
  IF: re0 state: active speed: 100baseTX duplex: full-duplex mac: <filter> 
  IP v4: <filter> scope: N/A broadcast: <filter> 
  WAN IP: <filter> 
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: Ralink Bluetooth driver: N/A bus-ID: 2:0.1 chip-ID: 1814:3298 
  class-ID: 0d11 
  Report: No OS support. Is a comparable bluetooth tool available? 
Logical:
  Message: Logical block device feature unsupported in OpenBSD. 
RAID:
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 465.76 GiB used: 1.52 GiB (0.3%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sd0 vendor: Toshiba model: MQ01ABF0 family: 2.5" HDD MQ01ABF... 
  size: 465.76 GiB block-size: physical: 4096 B logical: 512 B sata: 3.0 
  speed: 6.0 Gb/s rotation: 5400 rpm serial: <filter> rev: AM0P2C temp: 39 C 
  SMART: yes state: enabled health: PASSED on: 73d 20h cycles: 1880 
  Optical Report: No optical or floppy data found. 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 985.8 MiB used: 110.4 MiB (11.2%) fs: ffs dev: /dev/sd0a 
  ID-2: /home size: 295.27 GiB used: 180 KiB (0.0%) fs: ffs dev: /dev/sd0k 
  ID-3: /tmp size: 3.87 GiB used: 10 KiB (0.0%) fs: ffs dev: /dev/sd0d 
  ID-4: /usr size: 5.81 GiB used: 1.09 GiB (18.7%) fs: ffs dev: /dev/sd0f 
  ID-5: /usr/X11R6 size: 985.8 MiB used: 234.1 MiB (23.7%) fs: ffs 
  dev: /dev/sd0g 
  ID-6: /usr/local size: 19.37 GiB used: 41.8 MiB (0.2%) fs: ffs 
  dev: /dev/sd0h 
  ID-7: /usr/obj size: 5.81 GiB used: 2 KiB (0.0%) fs: ffs dev: /dev/sd0j 
  ID-8: /usr/src size: 1.93 GiB used: 2 KiB (0.0%) fs: ffs dev: /dev/sd0i 
  ID-9: /var size: 11.39 GiB used: 60.4 MiB (0.5%) fs: ffs dev: /dev/sd0e 
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 4.13 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) 
  dev: /dev/sd0b label: N/A uuid: N/A 
Unmounted:
USB:
  Hub-1: 0-01:01 info: Intel xHCI root hub ports: 7 rev: 3.0 speed: 5 Gb/s 
  chip-ID: 8086:0000 
  Device-1: 0-02:02 info: DECTK019I7C6HM HP Truevision HD type: Video 
  driver: uvideo rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s power: 500mA chip-ID: 0bda:5776 
  serial: <filter> 
  Hub-2: 0-03:03 info: Terminus USB 2.0 Hub ports: 4 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s 
  chip-ID: 1a40:0101 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 45.00 C mobo: 42.00 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:
  Packages: pkg_info: 27 lib: 7 
  OpenBSD pkg mirror: /etc/installurl 
  1: https://cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD
Processes:
  CPU top: 5 of 33 
  1: cpu: 0.1% command: pinxi started by: perl pid: 45413 mem: 32.4 MiB (0.8%) 
  2: cpu: 0.0% command: init pid: 1 mem: 0.40 MiB (0.0%) 
  3: cpu: 0.0% command: slaacd pid: 62860 mem: 0.57 MiB (0.0%) 
  4: cpu: 0.0% command: slaacd: pid: 75156 mem: 0.68 MiB (0.0%) 
  5: cpu: 0.0% command: slaacd: pid: 88956 mem: 0.70 MiB (0.0%) 
  Memory top: 5 of 33 
  1: mem: 32.4 MiB (0.8%) command: pinxi started by: perl pid: 45413 cpu: 0.1% 
  2: mem: 4.42 MiB (0.1%) command: smtpd: pid: 79102 cpu: 0.0% 
  3: mem: 4.24 MiB (0.1%) command: smtpd: pid: 81578 cpu: 0.0% 
  4: mem: 4.19 MiB (0.1%) command: smtpd: pid: 1622 cpu: 0.0% 
  5: mem: 4.14 MiB (0.1%) command: smtpd: pid: 77154 cpu: 0.0% 
Info:
  Processes: 33 Uptime: 2d 4h 54m Init: init (BSD) v: N/A tool: rcctl 
  Compilers: gcc: 4.2.1 clang: 10.0.1 Shell: ksh (doas) v: 5.2.14_99/07/13.2 
  running-in: tty p0 (SSH) pinxi: 3.3.03-46
Just as an aside, I have to say, the more I researched and worked with OpenBSD, the more talks I listened to by various OpenBSD devs, the more impressed I was with OpenBSD, so I ended up doing a real install of it, on a Thinkpad x220, which is pleasant.

I had a similar experience by the way when I was adding support for as many desktops and window managers as I could find and install in inxi, and in the end, I was really impressed by i3, so started running it on some systems, similar to OpenBSD, very good docs, focus on quality code, clean, easy to learn, consistent, excellent man pages.

Last edited by h2; 13th April 2021 at 08:57 PM.
Old 17th April 2021
Port Guard

These features, and more, are now released in inxi 3.3.04, just went out a while ago. Hope people find them useful.