DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

Old 19th October 2019
More noise than signal

My production servers were all upgraded via sysupgrade(8). On a small test server, the /usr partition was 1GB and needed to be larger, so before upgrade I needed to combine /usr with /usr/local in a single partition first, as they were consecutive partitions. This meant a) booting into single-user, b) backing up /usr/local, c) deleting the /usr/local partition, d) increasing the size of the /usr partition, e) using growfs(1), f) restoring /usr/local, and g) editing fstab(5).

After all that, I couldn't use sysupgrade(), as the /home partition was too small.
Old 20th October 2019
Port Guard

Sysupgrade to 6.6 worked, as I wrote earlier, but I am having a problem using Xfce. Screen freezes after a few minutes of use, cursor still moves but nothing reacts - I can’t open, close or move anything.

As long as I can see the screen I can still switch to console and CLI works, including shutting down. If the screen goes blank, which it sometimes does after a few minutes, then I’m stuck doing a hard shutdown.

If I sign in instead with the default fvwm, I am not getting freezes.

I see there is lots to look into between Xorg and Xfce, with my strongest suspicion at the moment a setting to add to an xorg conf file (10-radeon...conf, not at my computer right now) or something to do with the addition of screensaver to the latest Xfce... but I still need to dig into log and error files, and man xorg.conf, and readmes, and xfce documentation, and internet searches. I might be at this for awhile.

I’ll report back what I find, but I would be interested to hear if anyone else runs into a similar Xfce problem after upgrading to or installing 6.6.

TKS
Old 20th October 2019
Spikes in tights

Location: perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("U2hlcndvb2QgRm9yZXN0")'

Disclaimer: I'm not an Xfce-user

Your screen problem might be related to that new screensaver function:
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=157149480408910&w=2

See also:
https://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/tree/COMPOSITOR#n114
and the package readme as mentioned in the message on misc@
Old 22nd October 2019
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvgit View Post
Disclaimer: I'm not an Xfce-user

Your screen problem might be related to that new screensaver function:
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=157149480408910&w=2

See also:
https://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/tree/COMPOSITOR#n114
and the package readme as mentioned in the message on misc@
After a couple of hours of use with many applications running, this looks like it's working for me (from the xfce Compositing manager notes linked above):

Code:
$ xfwm4 --replace --vblank=off &
Thanks, fvgit. I had already seen the marc.info post and xfce compositor notes but didn't think it applied since I wasn't seeing the symptom described (flickering.) I was getting screen freezes.

I tried the above only after trying a couple of other things (disabling hardware acceleration [EDIT: and DRI] in a couple of xorg.conf.d files and internet browsers; playing around screensaver settings but not trying to disable it) that didn't fix the problem.

TKS

Last edited by TheTKS; 23rd October 2019 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Add DRI note
Old 22nd October 2019
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
My production servers were all upgraded via sysupgrade(8).
Is that servers for your work? What they are doing/serving?
Old 22nd October 2019
More noise than signal

These are personal servers. My $DAYJOB does not involve OpenBSD.

At the moment, the servers consist of a pair of firewalls using carp(4), two mail servers (a VPS for bastion, and a local server). The test server acted as a QA server for a production Wordpress VPS that has been mothballed. I am keeping the QA server up-to-date just in the event of a future production relaunch.
Old 22nd October 2019
Package Pilot

Ah ok, thanks you for the answers jggimi.
Old 25th October 2019
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTKS View Post
After a couple of hours of use with many applications running, this looks like it's working for me (from the xfce Compositing manager notes linked above):

Code:
$ xfwm4 --replace --vblank=off &
Shortly after I wrote the above, I got another screen freeze.

After more reading and trial and error (and error, and error), the only way I've found to stop this is to turn off compositing.

Next: get Catfish working...

TKS

Tags
openbsd 6.6