DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2014
Port Guard

Default Fan control (it is too noisy)

Hi, I am trying to figure out a way on cooling down my system. It seems that the CPU fan runs at full speed all the time , regardless of what I am doing. I tried to google it and I couldn't find a consistent way of doing it nor determine what is an accurate post. For instance, I found this and this. I am kinda lost on this.

Here is my dmesg
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2014
Marveled user

Hi.

I found this sensorsd tutorial, could be useful.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2014
OpenBSD language porter

Please don't link to tutorials from that website. It is a known harbor for information that ranges from bad and out-of-date to bad and out-of-date and actively harmful.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2014
More noise than signal

moisespedro, I'll repeat what I stated in this thread - fan control is generally not a user-settable feature. You can monitor, but you cannot adjust fan speeds.

You can use apmd(8) and set one of the low power consumption modes such as cool running. This is not the same thing as adjusting a fan's speed under operator control, but can quiet a system that is not under heavy load.

Thanks for sharing your dmesg. I can see that:
  • Your BIOS is up to date -- revision 1101 is the most recent BIOS for your motherboard.
  • You have an aibs(4) ASUSTeK fan controller. The aibs driver has not had any new development since 5.5-release. (src/sys/dev/acpi/atk0110.c)
  • Your video card, as reported by drm(4), has its own internal fan and thermal control. This may mean the loudest fan is on your video card.
Refer to the aibs man page (link above) for details on what the aibs controller can report to you via sysctl(8).

Last edited by jggimi; 20th May 2014 at 01:22 AM. Reason: clarity, formatting, typos
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2014
Port Guard

I will take a look at apmd and I am pretty sure the noise comes from the CPU fan, I had to adjust it when I was using Linux because it was also too noisy.

EDIT: I've ran "apmd -C" and omg the difference is huge, it still a bit noisier than Linux but it is less worse now.

Last edited by moisespedro; 20th May 2014 at 04:28 AM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2014
OpenBSD language porter

This always confuses me: "my fans are too noisy"
Have you considered that a) your fans are crap b) the thermal connections to heat-sensitive parts of your computer are crap, causing them to run hotter therefore setting the fans off or c) turning the fans down manually for the sake of "noise" could be causing your machine harm?

Judging by your dmesg (bios0: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M LX/BR, so a desktop... seriously does that thing have a parallel and serial port on it? I may have to get me one...) you can actually do something about a) and b) so I would start there.

True bugs need to be dealt with, but seeing as # apmd -C turned your fans down, I'd look towards things you can take care of.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2014
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Location: hot,dry,dusty,rainy,windy,straight winds, tornado,puts the fear of God in you-Texas

For those of you who buy older commercial hardware, (for obvious reasons) be warned that the "HP-DL360g" and to some extent the 380 series duplicate "jet engines" when they get warm, otherwise just very very loud when not loaded. Of course their good points are multiple hotplug ps's, nic cards. fast scsi drives, hardware raid all very compatible with OpenBSD........But.......ear plugs required.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th July 2014
Port Guard

Just a quick note on this subject. I have a 1U server that I had the case open, and the fans were all going full blast. As soon as I put the case back together, the fans calmed down.

So I'm wondering moisespedro, do you have the case open? There could be a hardware switch or sensor to detect the state of the case.