DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th March 2009
New User

Default Change consolle resolution

Hi to all.
I'm trying to change the framebuffer resolution on OpenBSD 4.4, I've applied this
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.c...scfg&sektion=8
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.c...penBSD+Current

but the font loaded make terminal hard to read and unusable. Any suggestion?Thanks.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th March 2009
Spam Deminer

I have run into this particular problem on an IBM flatscreen monitor. It would cut the lines in half, so you could only read the top half of all words.

What I tried was to change the resolution referenced. I think that worked for me on a previous problem monitor. Unfortunately no resolution setting with the IBM monitor worked. So maybe the problem is the monitor you are using...
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th March 2009
New User

Monitor is a nice 19". Is a sin to renounce at a more high resolution. Therefore the problem is seamless?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th March 2009
Too dumb for a smartphone

unixbsd, In the past I've tried the 80x50 OpenBSD text console, and I feel your pain. I think the basic problem results from the limiations of plain vanilla VGA. At best you have 640x480 screen resolution. So if you want, say, 50 lines on the screen, you have 480/50 = about 9 pixels per char vertically. If you want 128 columns, you have 640/128 = 5 pixels per char horizontal. 9x5 just isn't enough resolution to draw a nice looking character set.

If it is important, more flexibility for this kind of feature is offered by other OS's, even within the BSD family.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th March 2009
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
If it is important, more flexibility for this kind of feature is offered by other OS's, even within the BSD family.
yes, I know, I use FreeBSD too with VESA option's on kernel, but I'm wondering why on OpenBSD this feature is completely unusable and if there's the possibility of improve them.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th March 2009
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixbsd View Post
yes, I know, I use FreeBSD too with VESA option's on kernel, but I'm wondering why on OpenBSD this feature is completely unusable and if there's the possibility of improve them.
I'm no expert, but suspect that there aren't enough resources available to make this a priority. In other words, the developers are busy working on the really important stuff and have not enough time for something that is is closer to the cosmetic end of things. Unfortunate reality I guess, and for many this is probably not important, depending on how they use it.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th March 2009
Banned

The method used to load a 80x50 font does not use a VESA VBE framebuffer, in fact.. unless you set this mode, OpenBSD doesn't play with VGA mode settings at all.

Both FreeBSD and NetBSD have framebuffer consoles available now, but it is not a priority within the OpenBSD community.. this doesn't mean to say no code exists in the tree yet, because some does.. but it's not ready for public consumption.

If the 80x50 mode does not look adequate on your monitor, use the default.. if even that isn't acceptable.. it might be worth considering Xorg+xterm and a readable font.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th March 2009
New User

Thanks to all.