DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2011
Fdisk Soldier

Default Simple question about binary upgrade

Hi there
In my bible of BSD(mastering FreeBSD and OpenBSD security(o'reilly)) it says, for OpenBSD, that it's best to upgrade using a parallel system and subsequent data and config migration. It goes on to say if you don't have the resources for this then a binary upgrade is the safest bet. So when you boot from original install media and it offers the U(upgrade option) will that initiate a binary upgrade?. In the upgrade guide it says that a formal upgrade is not an "in place binary upgrade". Which way should it be done in order to preserve all the config changes made before upgrading?. I would like to do a binary upgrade but can't locate in the handbook or by google a clear description of how to do a binary upgrade. Is it just choosing U, from the menu on the original install media?
Thanks for helping a complete BSD n00b

Last edited by unixjingleman; 27th May 2011 at 05:16 AM. Reason: I'm a n00b
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2011
Banned

The recommended way of upgrading is booting the new bsd.rd (..directly, or via other media) and typing 'U' when prompted.

After installation /etc is preserved, you need to manually update configuration files. How this can be done is outlined on the upgrade??.html page.

The 'in-place' upgrade is used for remote systems not easily accessible, it involves manually extracting the sets.. for a novice, a lot could go wrong.

BTW, that book/article was published in 2005, you should always refer to official documentation instead of outdated 3rd party guides.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixjingleman View Post
Hi there
In my bible of BSD(mastering FreeBSD and OpenBSD security(o'reilly)) it says, for OpenBSD,
I have no idea why is OpenBSD even mentioned in the title of that book. The book talks 98% of the time about FreeBSD. In those rare occasions when they talk about OpenBSD it is completely WRONG. It is obvious that they have NO idea what they are talking about and that they have actually never used OpenBSD.