DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General Hardware

General Hardware General hardware related questions.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2008
Port Guard

Default Cheap, FreeBSD compatible mini PC?

Hi all,
I've been scouting around for a mini-pc to be used in my home as a sort of FreeBSD test server. I administer 3-4 remote, live FreeBSD servers and as such I often come across problems that can't easily be solved without disrupting the other users on the system. I can't afford to rent a remote server specifically for testing and even though I run FreeBSD on my home computer I'd still love to have a neat little server hidden away somewhere that I can SSH to to run kernel patches and such. Wow, how geeky do I sound?

Anyway.. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a mini pc (something not much bigger than a standard internal CD/DVD drive) that will definitely run FreeBSD without hardware configuration problems and which is around £300-400

Many thanks,

Chris

Last edited by chris; 25th September 2008 at 10:00 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th September 2008
New User

You might want to check into the Fit PC line of computers. I have no personal experience with them but they say they run linux...

>edit to add link<

http://www.fit-pc.com/new/fit-pc-sli...fications.html
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th September 2008
Port Guard

I own a VIA EPIA-LN 10000EG, placed inside a Morex Cubid 2677 V3.0. With 1GB RAM this one costs around 230€ - harddisk not included. It runs 24/7 here since ~1y (using FBSD) and is almost noiseless due to passive cooling and a 2,5" disk. I've chosen this little one since it has a TV-out, although I've not used it yet
However if I'd had the chance of getting a new one, this would definitely be a VIA PICO PX 10000G inside of a DL-431DV Pico-ITX case, which will sum up to ~350€ (1GB RAM,w/o HD).