DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th August 2009
Administrator

Cool Poul-Henning Kamp (FreeBSD developer) sues Lenovo ;)

Interesting ...

source0[en]: http://translate.google.com/translat...t/&sl=da&tl=en
source1[da]: http://phk.freebsd.dk/MicrosoftSkat/

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th August 2009
Banned

That's good, getting rather tired of the forced distribution of Windows myself.. it's anti-competitive, and it's at the point where many people don't even comprehend that other operating systems even exist.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th August 2009
Arp Constable

Somehow I hope this makes a big stink and goes rank under Lenovo's nose

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th August 2009
Daemonology student

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
many people don't even comprehend that other operating systems even exist.
Nah! Most people don't ever know what an OS is to begin with. The computer itself is synonymous with Windows XP, humm, no, Vista, errr, no, 7 (and counting) + every MS software on the market + occasionally some games. There's no boundary between those.

What solution do you propose for all the manufacturers and retailers around the world?

What about people (the majority) who can barely use Windows, and will probably phone the company, and yell at them about the broken PC that won't even boot, and say they won't buy from that manufacturer/retailer again even when the tech guys explain (or at least try to) they need to install an OS.

Or better! Those who will say the PC/OS is buggy/broken/virus-infected when they see no icon for Internet Explorer, MSN messenger or Outlook.

I know many people, even young people who have grown up in the midst of the 80-90ies "technological boom" and are supposed to KNOW their technology, but are totally overwhelmed with it, can't even use simple software like MS Word, or download and install new software, or have so many misconceptions like the "some disk space will vanish every time you format your drive" one.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th August 2009
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
What about people (the majority) who can barely use Windows, and will probably phone the company, and yell at them about the broken PC that won't even boot, and say they won't buy from that manufacturer/retailer again even when the tech guys explain (or at least try to) they need to install an OS.

These people should be told, pack up said computer, drive to nearest charity, and ask if they could use a "fixer upper" computer -- or -- learn how to read, then actually do it!!!

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th August 2009
Banned

If there was rating system on this forum, I would +1 TerryP's post.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th August 2009
VPN Cryptographer

Hopefully this will catch the eye of the US Justice Department, which still has Microsoft under federal oversight, and the EU, which has several complaints under investigation against MS right now. I just don't understand how this is allowed to happen.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th August 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
Hopefully this will catch the eye of the US Justice Department, which still has Microsoft under federal oversight, and the EU, which has several complaints under investigation against MS right now. I just don't understand how this is allowed to happen.
You are either very, very naive person or you do not live in U.S.A. I would not be surprised that Micirosoft executives would fire a Justice Department official who dared to seriously investigate them.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th August 2009
More noise than signal

drhoward...: Uh, as I understand it, this is a suit against Lenovo, not MSoft. Lenovo's decisions may be driven by MSoft policy, of course, but AFAIK the company is not involved in the suit. And, it's a suit in Denmark against a Chinese company operating there. No US entities are involved.

Oko: You might find one of these helpful :
Old 17th August 2009
Banned

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get ya.

P.S: Give me back my hat jggimi.