DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th December 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Default pkgsrc on OpenBSD

I was wondering if people would be willing to share their recent or
maybe not so recent experiences in using pkgsrc on OpenBSD.
I have not played for a while with pkgsrc and this weekend out of curiosity I installed on one of the testing machines pkgsrc on the top of OpenBSD 4.4 current. Except for the minor glitch with using a.out instead of ELF which was fixed by bumping tnftp to the latest version pkgsrc seems to work fine. I have to confess though that I have not played enough with X clients. Namely I have a strong preference for Xenocara over vanilla Xorg and pkgsrc seems to be playing little bit rough with the native Xorg.

In particular I am interested in people who were running pkgsrc and native packages side by side. It seems that it is fairly easy to keep those apart.

My real interest in pkgsrc steams from the fact that pgksrc number of packages is now almost 8000 and almost 10000 counting wip pacages and definitely contains some interesting software which is non-trivial for porting to OpenBSD. It is also regularly updated with security patches
which is now a big issue when stable packages are gone from OpenBSD.

pkgsrc despite its imperfection seens like a very interesting idea certainly worth of fixing. It is particularly nice for people who are managing several different operating systems. It looks to me as the
best packaging system for Solaris, Slackware, and OS X for now.

I Googled and I saw that somebody had around year 2000 idea for unified
BSD packaging system. Since than various BSD have changed a lot in their base and that might not be possible to do it at all. That seems like a very good idea to me as the human resources are so hard to come by.