DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2016
Port Guard

Default growisofs (dvd+rw-tools) in openbsd

Greetings everyone,

I'm just curious about writing our ISO images to dvd blank disc.

I have tried reading the OpenBSD FAQ in the multimedia section about writing to dvd disc and followed its instructions, read some man pages of those said packages, but every time I write to DVD using growisofs it always seemed to fail, damaging my blank DVD disc with junk data. I tried viewing my blank dvd disc using dvd+rw-mediainfo, it seems ok and able to recognize that the disc is a normal blank DVD-R disc, but every time I tried writing to it using growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/rcd0c=mydvd.iso it always seems to fail, I tried growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=1 -Z /dev/rcd0c=mydvd.iso thinking if I write using the slowest possible speed would fix the problem, but to no avail it still fails the same way. I tried using growisofs -dry-run, thinking that it would simulate dvd writing but it was not even helpful since it just gives you a 1 liner text then quits.

My iso images is made using mkhybrid -r -o mydvd.iso /home/<myhome>/mydvd. Tried mounting my ISO files (using vndconfig and mount) seems ok and working fine.

Are there other alternative packages I could use to write iso images to DVDs. Windows Nero is able to write to my blank DVD with no problem, but I don't want to boot to windows each and every time I have to write my ISO files to DVD.

I'm using OpenBSD 5.9 Patched #25
dmesg of my dvd-rom drive:
"cd0 at scsibus3 targ 2 lun 0: <ATAPI, iHAS124 B, AL0S> ATAPI 5/cdrom removable"

Thanks everyone... Sorry for my lameness...

Last edited by yezster; 23rd August 2016 at 11:44 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th August 2016
Administrator

It is unclear whether only mydvd.iso, or whether burning any image created through mkhybrid(8) fails. I'm guessing the latter.

Having said that, here are some of the obvious questions:
  • What is the error displayed by growisofs(1m)?
  • What is the size of the *.iso being burned?
The growisofs(1m) manpage gives multiple commands which can be used to burn files to a DVD-R(W) disc, however, the only form for burning a pre-existing *.iso is the one you cite above. The alternatives listed may be worth exploring.

Lastly, providing dmesg(8) output as to what the kernel understands about your DVD-R drive may be in order.