DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th April 2010
Banned

Default OpenBSD mailing list

The miscellaneous mailing list is just funny at times.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2010
Spam Deminer

Yes. I find it sometimes offputting some of the cheap ideas floating around in there and how crudely they're expressed. I have to remind myself that I do in fact really like their operating system, since there are similar ones with better mailing lists. You use the system, not the mailing list.

Still, I think we as users owe it to each other to avoid engaging and especially in initiating the really worn out tired topics like whether C++ is a good programming language, BSD and ISC vs. GPL licenses, how a person who wants to begin kernel programming should start, how one might ought to communicate with strangers on mailing lists and forums (whoops, I just slipped up on that one), etc.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2010
Banned

Most of the content on the list has little to do with me. If I need an answer or a suggestion, I'll post my query. In reference to licensing, etc: Yeah, there will be a few answers that are extremely humorous. It's rare, though, that such replies will not have a basis in solid reasoning.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd May 2010
Arp Constable

Excuse me, but am I missing something?

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd May 2010
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Biscuit View Post
Most of the content on the list has little to do with me. If I need an answer or a suggestion, I'll post my query. In reference to licensing, etc: Yeah, there will be a few answers that are extremely humorous. It's rare, though, that such replies will not have a basis in solid reasoning.

Maybe the reasoning is solid in as far as it goes, in a programming logic sort of way. But taking a dictionary definition of free (and that this definition of free is the one thing that's desirable to optimize?) as your premise and then "proving" how the BSD license is more free because it plainly has fewer restrictions, it's pretty funny to me. The arguments for the BSD license in the FAQ and the ones given on FreeBSD's web site are decent and fairly well explained, but people who think the issue can be reduced to a premise or two and a bit of logic are hard to take seriously. It's embarrassing when otherwise intelligent people argue this way.