DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th September 2010
New User

Default Playing DVDs

I gathered from OpenBSD Faq 13.9 (can't post link) that it's possible to play DVDs, with or without mounting them. When I do
Code:
$ xine /dev/cd0c
I get
Quote:
- xine engine error -

Input plugin failed to open mrl'/dev/cd0c'
and behind that another message saying
Quote:
"sight", unknown error. (Permission error /dev/cd0c)
I then do
Code:
$ sudo chmod a+r /dev/cd0c
which takes away the second permission-related message but still leaves the first. I then do
Code:
$ sudo mount /dev/cd0c /mnt/dvd;
$ xine /mnt/dvd
and can hear the DVD drive whirring and reading the disc before getting
Quote:
- xine engine error -

Input plugin failed to open mrl
'mnt/dvd/VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_0.VOB'
...which leads to Xine hanging up and requiring killing.

I have similar problems when trying to use dvdrip in that mounting works but reading directly from the DVD drive doesn't. Does anyone know of any resources to get 'raw' (i.e. no need to mount) DVD playback/ripping working? Thanks in advance for any help/tips/pointers
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th September 2010
Banned

I use mplayer for DVD playback, I believe it requires manually installing a few of the DVD libraries for navigation and content descrambling (..libdvdcss).

For accessing devices directly, you should always avoid the block devices, use /dev/rcd0c instead and set a cache value for your player.. most have it.

There is typically no need to mount a DVD, generally the players and associated libraries work better accessing the drive themselves.

For DVD ripping dvdbackup port seems to work well, and can be useful for confirming the proper libraries have been installed for accessing the drive.

I do believe that read and write access is required for negotiating encryption with the drive, but, I haven't confirmed this.

Good luck,
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th September 2010
Banned

I use "ogle". pkg_add -iv ogle. on the command line: sudo ogle. is all it takes to watch a dvd on my OpenBSD box -- version 4.7.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th September 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrodozombie View Post
I use "ogle". pkg_add -iv ogle. on the command line: sudo ogle. is all it takes to watch a dvd on my OpenBSD box -- version 4.7.
Ogle is indeed possibly the best DVD player around. MPlayers lacks the support for Chapters or at least it did in the past. That being said the thing that really enables you to watch DVDs is libdvd. Sometime if you try to watch the DVD from the different region code you might find useful to have around libdvdcss.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th September 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
For DVD ripping dvdbackup port seems to work well, and can be useful for confirming the proper libraries have been installed for accessing the drive.
You might want to analyze the following pseudo script.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#finding movie on the DVD which has many chapters and commercials. Usually 
# the longest track
lsdvd

#crop detect
mplayer dvd://2 -vf cropdetect

# Widescreen: use scale "704:304"  Fullscreen: use scale "640:480" (see below)  

#Two passes encoding
mencoder dvd://2 -chapter 1-21 -ovc lavc -lavcopts \
vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1 -oac copy -o /dev/null ;
mencoder dvd://2 -chapter 1-21  -ovc lavc -lavcopts \ 
vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:trell:vpass=2  -oac copy -o output.avi

# transfering the movie into mpg2
ffmpeg -i title2.avi -y -target ntsc-dvd -sameq -aspect 16:9 finalmovie.mpg

# Creating the movie 
dvdauthor --title -o dvd -f finalmovie.mpg

# Creating the title
dvdauthor -o dvd -T

#making DVD structure 
mkisofs -dvd-video -o dvd.iso dvd/

#burning the movie
growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/rcd0c=dvd.iso
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th September 2010
Banned

Thanks Oko, but I don't do much ripping.. the stuff I do backup I typically convert to XviD, usually television shows.

I notice an unusual step, DVD movies typically use MPEG2 already.. it makes little sense in your pseudo-script to encode it to MPEG4(..divx/xvid) and then back to MPEG2.

Perhaps the might find some of the steps useful though, there are plenty of useful tutorials online for using mencoder/ffmpeg to do video converting.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th September 2010
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
I use mplayer for DVD playback, I believe it requires manually installing a few of the DVD libraries for navigation and content descrambling (..libdvdcss).

For accessing devices directly, you should always avoid the block devices, use /dev/rcd0c instead and set a cache value for your player.. most have it.

There is typically no need to mount a DVD, generally the players and associated libraries work better accessing the drive themselves.

I do believe that read and write access is required for negotiating encryption with the drive, but, I haven't confirmed this.

Good luck,
Thanks for the advice! DVD playback and ripping now work flawlessly with Xine and DVDbackup when using /dev/rcd0c (I already had libdvdcss etc installed). Unfortunately Ogle displayed a stretched square for the DVD and I couldn't find out where to change the aspect ratio.