DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Guides

Guides All Guides and HOWTO's.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th September 2011
Spam Deminer

Default Installing Cacti on OpenBSD 4.9

Hey guys, long time, little talk... I've been busy with lotsa stuff, but I still work in the shadows with BSD... and I made a guide along the way to solidify my Cacti installations. Cacti was the last application that I couldn't really run on OpenBSD (in the past) because of performance differences between it and Linux-based OS's that I could never pin down.

But I've noticed that since at least 4.7 things have improved significantly... so here's my 4.9 guide.

http://www.dannosite.com/?q=node/123

If you want I can try to reformat things for a post here, but it might be a bit tedious. Lemme know.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th September 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

Ai-danno,

You have a nice, useful OpenBSD related website (I hope it will grow) and very, very beautiful kids.

Best,
Oko
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th September 2011
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai-danno View Post
I made a guide along the way to solidify my Cacti installations.

nice post. out of curiosity do you know any reason why one would encounter an internal server error while trying to access the cacti site?

HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error):

httaccess, php.ini configuration, permission? so many things come to my mind and i have teaked and tweaked trying all i think about but still get the error.

http error_log shows "File does not exist: /var/www/htdocs/favicon.ico" and even after manually copying file to that location to try out i still get same error.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th September 2011
Spam Deminer

To Oko, thanks for the kind words! Years ago my site was centered around Riverstone switch-routers, but has now morphed into a pro-OBSD site.

To badguy, I would suggest-
- tail -20 /var/www/logs/error and /var/www/logs/access immediately after attempting to surf the page. Your best clues can be found there. The access log can indicate whether a page you surfed to attempted to call another that might not show in the error logging file.

- if this is Cacti, ensure that mysql is running, or that your Cacti configuration file is pointing to the correct location of the db with the correct credentials (though normally that will be plain as day to see).

- confirm your two root locations in your httpd.conf file, especially document root. Be sure it's pointing to the right place. That's one possibility to answer the oddity of your ico error message.

- confirm you are either properly configured for chroot'd hosting, or that you are executing httpd with the -u option. That's the other, and possibly more likely explanation for your ico and 500 errors. This is my gut feeling for the actual problem.

There were a few other things that came to mind... and slipped away just as quickly, I'll try to remember them and post back.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th September 2011
Banned

I don't use Cacti, but, I remember you ai-danno. Hope you're doing well. Glad to see that you're lurking again.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th September 2011
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
I don't use Cacti, but, I remember you ai-danno. Hope you're doing well. Glad to see that you're lurking again.
Thanks for the kind words, it's good to hear from you, too.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd September 2011
Fdisk Soldier

Ok so I think I figured out the problem (or at least it works now). Apparently it seems like i did not have the correct php modules installed/setup correctly.

"php -m" did not show mysql and snmp even though they were in the php extension directory

Quote:
root@localhost/tmp #ls /var/www/lib/php/modules
gd.so mysql.so snmp.so
So I added these two lines to my php.ini file

Code:
extension=mysql.so
extension=snmp.so
and confirmed that the directory in which the loadable extensions resides was correct.

Code:
extension_dir = "/var/www/lib/php/modules"
And now it works. The install instruction says to make sure these modules are there but but i did not expect it to be a big deal. now i know better