DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th January 2016
New User

Default Specific DHCP config on OpenBSD

Running OpenBSD 5.7.

I would like to set up a DHCP server on my BSD machine, that can do the following:
-Only assign IP addresses to devices with a particular manufacturer MAC prefix (MAC wildcard)
-Never assign IP addresses to devices with a different MAC
-Configure DHCP option (66 or 43) to pass provisioning server address for tftp or http provisioning

Is that possible and how would I do that?

The reason for all this is, that I want to use that DHCP server to assign IP addresses for VoIP phones.
(Other non-VoIP network devices I handle through a different DHCP server, with DHCP reservations for known MAC addresses).
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th January 2016
Administrator

Note that the OpenBSD dhcpd server is a "light" or rather minimal server. dhcpd.conf(5) does not list any MAC wildcard filtering.

The ISC dhcpd server in the OpenBSD ports collection has more bells and whistles.

A quick google for "ISC DHCP MAC wildcard" showed some suggestions in Assigning IP Range to Wildcard MAC-Adresses with ISC dhcpd
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th January 2016
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
Note that the OpenBSD dhcpd server is a "light" or rather minimal server. dhcpd.conf(5) does not list any MAC wildcard filtering.
This is very interesting post. I didn't catch that OP wanted to use pattern matching (regular expressions) to filter MAC. The lack of the support for regular expressions has little to do with being light but it is probably due to security issues. Now similar feature was most sought feature for new httpd daemon and was resolved by adding Lua patterns which don't suffer from the same security issues like regular expressions.
http://lua-users.org/wiki/PatternsTutorial
I bet you this can be easily done for dhcpd from the base.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th January 2016
Administrator

RE: tftp provisioning

You can pass the address of a tftp server with the next-server statement. From dhcpd.conf(5):
Code:
           group {
             filename "Xncd19r";
             next-server ncd-booter;

host ncd1 { hardware ethernet 0:c0:c3:49:2b:57; }
             host ncd4 { hardware ethernet 0:c0:c3:80:fc:32; }
             host ncd8 { hardware ethernet 0:c0:c3:22:46:81; }
           }
The dhcp-options(5) page describes the option option voip-configuration-server :
Quote:
option voip-configuration-server ip-address [, ip-address ...];

The voip-configuration-server option specifies a list of (normally TFTP) servers that VoIP clients may download their configuration information and software images from. Servers should be listed in order of preference.
Re: DHCPD light

@Oko, it is a "light" version compared with the ISC dhcpd server. It misses for example the ISC dhcp-eval(5) capabilities

Last edited by J65nko; 8th January 2016 at 11:56 PM.