DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th January 2009
New User

Default Wireless Network Problem

Hello everyone. I have a connection problem with my laptop using an Intel 2915 wireless card and my home wireless using WPA. I can connect but after a couple of minutes it appears the connection is lost. I plug in a pcmcia Atheros card and it stays connected without a problem. The problem is the same on FreeBSD and NetBSD, however my Linux install works with Intel card and stays connected. Any Idea what could be causing the Intel card to lose connection on BSD?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th January 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuma218 View Post
I have a connection problem with my laptop using an Intel 2915 wireless card and my home wireless using WPA.
You didn't specify what version of NetBSD you are running, but even the manpage for iwi(4) in -current does not indicate that WPA is supported by the driver.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th January 2009
New User

Sorry for that. I am using 4.0.1. I see that in the man pages it does not mention support for WPA. So I take it then that this driver does not support WPA? I could have sworn that I read others post being able to use this driver with WPA.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th January 2009
Administrator

Quote:
So I take it then that this driver does not support WPA?
That would be my guess. The various *BSD projects tend to take the correctness of their manpages seriously.

Neither does the FreeBSD manpage for iwi(4) mention WPA support, however, OpenBSD's manpage for iwi(4) does.

To say that NetBSD will soon have a WPA-capable driver would be conjecture on my part. I suspect we will simply have to wait & see.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th January 2009
New User

Ok, thanks. Looks like I will have to change *BSD. Strange that it would work for a while and then stop working. I managed to get pkgsrc setup and installed some apps before it stopped. Oh well.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th January 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Ok, thanks. Looks like I will have to change *BSD.
Note that it appears that WPA support in OpenBSD is only in -current. I don't see mention of WPA support in OpenBSD 4.4's manpage:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.c...86&format=html
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th January 2009
Risen from the ashes

Better solution would be to stick with the Atheros add-in card. The Intel wireless chipsets just don't match even the oldest Atheros stuff. In the BSD world, there just isn't really anything better supported than Atheros. You can even do 108 Mbps connections if you have an Atheros-based access point.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th January 2009
New User

I see that the man pages for wpa_supplicant for free, open, and net mention iwi. I also found this back from 2005 talking about how wpa support for iwi and ath.

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current...0/01/0014.html
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th January 2009
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Better solution would be to stick with the Atheros add-in card. The Intel wireless chipsets just don't match even the oldest Atheros stuff. In the BSD world, there just isn't really anything better supported than Atheros. You can even do 108 Mbps connections if you have an Atheros-based access point.
This is what I was thinking about doing, but I hate having to carry an extra card with me when the laptop already has one built in. I do agree with Atheros being better than the Intel.