DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Default Java JDK

I thought, I would never ask this question in my life but something important came out and I have to have those idiotic Java plug-ins for web-browsers.
I read FAQ about Java installation on OpenBSD and following direction I run
make and read the massage. I did edited mk.conf file with the license acceptance. Then I went to SUN web-site to fetch source files.
Unfortunately the link from the OpenBSD installation message has been removed so I got redirected to some other SUN's download site.
After 1.5 hour of browsing (nice job SUN in making hard to navigate web-site) the only thing I see are source files for OpenSolaris and Linux.

Are there source files and patches for OpenBSD or that is the thing of the past.
I know that starting November 1st there would be binary packages for OpenBSD but in my understanding they will not contain browsers plug-ins.
I also noticed that FreeBSD binary packages despite claims about the new agreement are two years old and require 6.1 of FreeBSD to run.

Thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2008
Spam Deminer

Read the messages
if missed
read the Makefile (this for 1.5)
MASTER_SITES= http://www.java.net/download/tiger/tiger_u14/
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Are there source files and patches for OpenBSD or that is the thing of the past.
The files required to build JDK1.6 can be found in both:
  • /usr/ports/devel/jdk/1.6/Makefile
  • /usr/ports/devel/jdk/1.5/Makefile
Note that 1.5 is required to build 1.6.

If you are also wanting to enable the JRE plugin, see /usr/ports/devel/JDK/1.6/pkg/MESSAGE-jre which tells where the symlink to libjavaplugin_oji.so needs to be placed.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Of course. Stupid ME.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2008
Arp Constable

Quote:
I also noticed that FreeBSD binary packages despite claims about the new agreement are two years old and require 6.1 of FreeBSD to run.

I have the 6.1/i386 packages from the freebsd foundation and have never had any problems with the JDK or JRE, other then a dislike for compling Java code.

I have however never gotten or put much effort into getting the browser plugins if any workin'

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
I have the 6.1/i386 packages from the freebsd foundation and have never had any problems with the JDK or JRE, other then a dislike for compling Java code.

I have however never gotten or put much effort into getting the browser plugins if any workin'
Is that PBI (PCBSD) for Java usable or it is there just for cosmetic purposes.
Those Java binaries for FreeBSD 6.1 should work on all versions till 6.3.
Personally as I said earlier I though I would never have to ask how to compile Java as I can not stand Java to put it mildly. Actually as much as I like SUN hardware I could not care less for their software but unfortunately I have to use it on daily basis (MySQL, OpenOffice, and now Java)
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

I have plug-ins. Compilation was about 1.5 hour but I have 3GB or RAM:-)
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2008
Administrator

Quote:
...but I have 3GB or RAM:-)
Although this may be a factor, a larger determinant of how much time building the JDK will require is prior installation of supporting packages.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2008
Arp Constable

Quote:
Is that PBI (PCBSD) for Java usable or it is there just for cosmetic purposes.
Those Java binaries for FreeBSD 6.1 should work on all versions till 6.3.
Personally as I said earlier I though I would never have to ask how to compile Java as I can not stand Java to put it mildly. Actually as much as I like SUN hardware I could not care less for their software but unfortunately I have to use it on daily basis (MySQL, OpenOffice, and now Java)

I wouldn't know, I have not used the PBI files since, heck probably PC-BSD 1.1 or older.

Over 'differences' of opinion about PBI and more then a few sour feelings on the matter, I don't use PBI files often: the last was installing Firefox PBI after flock broke to avoid compile times and package dependency lines.

What part of Java causes you the most trouble?

I've found the language itself quite logical, just the sun toolset and associated infurstructure to be a p.i.t.a. to put to work.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 13th July 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post

What part of Java causes you the most trouble?
None. I do not use Java expect idiotic plug-ins because it is against my religion.

Some idiot from the University I am collaborating with (I have to state for the record that sys admin at Math Department the University of Arizona where I work are much smarter than that) came with an idea that a specific tool can be accessed only through Java plug-ins. As a consequence I had to have them no questions asked. Do you really think I would install them?
Old 13th July 2008
Arp Constable

Heh, only if they twisted your arm into needing them :-P

That's partly why I asked.