DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th July 2018
Port Guard

Default Using the latest version of Firefox?

What would be people's suggestion when it comes to firefox?
I was planning on only installing packages since I'm new to the system, but someone mentioned that browser is one of those exceptions where I should run the more updated version in order to prevent vulnerabilities.

Quote:
The ports tree is tied to OpenBSD's flavors. Do not check out a -current ports tree and expect it to work on a -release or -stable system. If you follow -current, you need both a -current base system and a -current ports tree. Because no intrusive changes are made in -stable, it is possible to use a -stable ports tree on a -release system and vice versa.
My current system is Release + syspatch, as a novice, would you recommend just sticking with the default firefox-59 package or learn how to use ports right away and grab the version available from Stable Ports? (via AnonCVS? since stable ports seems to be only available from this source rather than from mirrors)

#2   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th July 2018
Open Source Software user

I have been, & am happy, running the standard packaged Firefox.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th July 2018
More noise than signal

At 6.3, Firefox's key risk mitigation on OpenBSD is Write-xor-Execute memory, "W^X". Initial use of OpenBSD's pledge(2) to restrict operations has begun in -current, and will be available with 6.4.

Usually, the -stable version of Firefox is Mozilla's Extended Support Release (ESR). At this writing, that is 60.1.0esr.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th July 2018
More noise than signal

Adding that Landry Breuil is still creating -stable builds of FF for the community.

This OpenBSD Journal article is from the 6.1 era. The links will need to be adapted to 6.3, but the signify(1) key remains the same.

https://undeadly.org/cgi?action=arti...20170425173917
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th July 2018
Spikes in tights

Location: perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("U2hlcndvb2QgRm9yZXN0")'

If your main focus is browser security you might also want to consider chrome/iridium.

See Theo's fairly recent comments on Firefox vs Chrome security:

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=152872551609819&w=2
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=152872744210957&w=2
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2018
Always learning

Hi,

I am using

Code:
6.3 GENERIC.MP#11 amd64
This thread is from July and this is end of September and I find the default Firefox is still

59.02. Why is it still not upgraded ?

The latest is 62.02.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2018
Spikes in tights

The OpenBSD snapshot mirrors have these:

firefox-esr-60.2.1.tgz
firefox-62.0.2.tgz
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2018
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd007 View Post
Why is it still not upgraded ?
-release packages are never updated. Updates to select ports are made, but -stable packages are left to the community to build, as the project does not have the resources to build them. -stable packages are available from M:Tier as a service. (https://stable.mtier.org)

For firefox, the port maintainer makes -stable packages available, as noted above in my July 17 posting.
Quote:
The latest is 62.02.
And there is a -stable port for it in www/mozilla-firefox. The package is available two ways, from Landry or from M:Tier.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th September 2018
Always learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvgit View Post
The OpenBSD snapshot mirrors have these:

firefox-esr-60.2.1.tgz
firefox-62.0.2.tgz
Sorry I am a newbie. How do I install firefox-62.0.2.tgz ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
-release packages are never updated. Updates to select ports are made, but -stable packages are left to the community to build, as the project does not have the resources to build them. -stable packages are available from M:Tier as a service. (https://stable.mtier.org)

For firefox, the port maintainer makes -stable packages available, as noted above in my July 17 posting. And there is a -stable port for it in www/mozilla-firefox. The package is available two ways, from Landry or from M:Tier.
Same question how do I install firefox-62.0.2.tgz ?
Old 26th September 2018
More noise than signal

I have just checked, and Landry has 60.2.1 as a -stable package for amd64. (There is a -stable port of 62.2 in CVS, 4 days old at this time, but Landry does not yet have a package currently available.) If you want to update to his 60.2:
  • Read post #4 above.
  • Click on the link in the post.
  • Read the article. It is out-of-date, but still very useful.
  • Obtain Landry's signify(1) key, store it in /etc/signify.
  • Change his -stable URL from 6.1 to 6.3 and set this in your $PKG_PATH environment variable. Example: # export PKG_PATH=https://packages.rhaalovely.net/pub/OpenBSD/6.3/packages/amd64/
  • # pkg_add -u firefox
I expect he will be building the 62.2 package as time and resources allow.
Old 26th September 2018
Always learning

@jggimi
Just one more question. Is it insecure to use FF 59.02 ? If the answer is no I wont bother doing all that.
Old 26th September 2018
More noise than signal

There are 25 CVEs applicable to FF 59.

https://www.cvedetails.com/version-s...&version=59%25
Old 26th September 2018
Spikes in tights

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd007 View Post
Sorry I am a newbie. How do I install firefox-62.0.2.tgz ?
You seem to be running 6.3 release, so to use those packages from the mirrors you'd have to upgrade your system to a current snapshot first.

For what it's worth, it is September the 26th. OpenBSD 6.4 is probably receiving its finishing touches as we speak. So I'd assume it'll be right around the corner...
Old 26th September 2018
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvgit View Post
...so to use those packages from the mirrors you'd have to upgrade your system to a current snapshot first.
For clarity: my advice above included step-by-step instructions to install a -stable package on bsd007's -release system.
You can mix and match -stable and -release packages and systems. This is because -stable and -release packages use identical libraries. By definition, a library bump would not be "stable."

-stable packages are not on the Project mirrors, because the Project does not build them. As noted previously in this thread, M:Tier produces all -stable packages as a service, and Landry Breuil produces Firefox -stable packages, as an add-on to his port maintenance activities.

Separately, -current packages are built from time to time, and stored under "snapshot" package directories and distributed to Project mirrors for the convenience of -current users. They are not built synchronously with OS snapshots, however.