DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th April 2014
New User

Default porting TigerVNC?

I'm tryng to compile tigervnc,work ok but at 80% interrupt,can't find X headers,(X.h,etc),how to pass the include dir to cmake?
Thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th April 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpabsdbeginner1 View Post
I'm tryng to compile tigervnc,work ok but at 80% interrupt,can't find X headers,(X.h,etc),how to pass the include dir to cmake?
Thanks
This message has been separated from the original thread in which it was posted:

http://daemonforums.org/showthread.p...light=tightvnc

...as that discussion targeted TightVNC, not TigerVNC.

While TigerVNC may have been based on TightVNC, this current incarnation appears to mostly target Intel based operating systems of which they only claim compatibility to Linux, Windows, & OS/X. If you are compiling this for HPPA, you may (or may not...) run into processor-specific issues.

Recognize that OpenBSD does not have the same filesystem arrangement as Linux. For more information, study the hier(7) manpage. This may be an issue with where TigerVNC expects particular locations, but you will need to study the source code in order to determine if changes are needed. I suspect your comment about being unable to locate the X header files stems from the difference in filesystem layouts.

Likewise, all libraries required by TigerVNC may or may not be ported to OpenBSD. Again, you will need to study the source code in order to determine if this is a problem. You may end up needing to port supporting libraries too.

Many applications today tend to be Linux-centric which doesn't help the other Unix-like operating systems. Studying the source code will be required in order to determine if it can be ported successfully to OpenBSD.

Last edited by ocicat; 15th April 2014 at 03:43 PM. Reason: corrected URL of parent thread...
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th April 2014
New User

Ok,there is an alternative to tigervnc?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th April 2014
Administrator

Quote:
there is an alternative to tigervnc?
As mentioned in the original thread, you may want to look at net/ssvnc.

For searching for applications officially ported to OpenBSD, several methods are available:Of all these methods, sqlports offers the greatest flexibility for creating elaborate & complicated searches. However, knowledge of SQL is required. With the sqlite3(1) console integrated into OpenBSD's base installation, constructing sophisticated searches can be easily done.

If I recall mailing list discussions correctly, http://ports.su gets its information from sqlports obtained from a recent -current snapshot. OpenPorts scrapes information from CVS check-in's. Both of these sites attempt to provide information on the latest changes to the ports tree, so their orientation is towards -current users, not -release users. http://ports.su's findings will more accurately reflect the current state of the ports tree, but I don't know how frequently they update their snapshot information. OpenPorts is known to have flaws in their scraping implementation, so the information displayed there may be flawed.

If you are wanting exact information, check the CVS tree directly. The OpenBSD project provides the CVSWeb Web interface for convenience at their Website.

Last edited by ocicat; 16th April 2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Add comments on Website accuracy...
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th April 2014
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Thanks
Here's a quick and dirty patch. This will allow TigerVNC to build. I didn't bother testing if the compiled binary works, because I don't care about VNC.

Like ocicat said, you may or may not run into issues. But you might as well try it. Things sometimes work fine anyway. The example that always comes to my mind is net/synergy which, even though it's not advertised, works basically everywhere on OpenBSD. (I know this because I'm the OpenBSD port maintainer of Synergy.)

Code:
$OpenBSD$
--- CMakeLists.txt.orig Tue Apr 15 21:28:23 2014
+++ CMakeLists.txt      Tue Apr 15 21:28:57 2014
@@ -65,7 +65,7 @@ add_definitions(-D__BUILD__="${BUILD}")

# We want to keep our asserts even in release builds so remove NDEBUG
 set(CMAKE_C_FLAGS "${CMAKE_C_FLAGS} -UNDEBUG")
-set(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} -UNDEBUG")
+set(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} -I${OPENBSD_X11BASE}/include -UNDEBUG")

if(NOT DEFINED BUILD_WINVNC)
   set(BUILD_WINVNC 1)
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th April 2014
Port Guard

If you want the server part of tigervnc I couldn't get that to work when I tried. I found that an alternative was to start a new Xvfb server and run x11vnc in that. i.e

Code:
$ Xvfb :2 &
$ DISPLAY=:2 xterm &
$ DISPLAY=:2 x11vnc
You can obviously set the Xvfb geometry etc. via startup parameters.

If Xvfb is too slow for you or does not support certain extensions (i.e xrandr) you can use Xephyr to achieve the same thing.

Interestingly I found that if you have a headless server with no graphics card you cannot use Xephyr directly. However if you run Xephyr inside Xvfb, you can benefit from its speed improvements and extensions on a headless server.

Code:
$ Xvfb :2 &
$ DISPLAY=:2 Xephyr :3 &
$ DISPLAY=:3 xterm &
$ DISPLAY=:3 x11vnc
Kinda hacky but works strangely well