DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th December 2008
Arp Constable

Default Encoding issue with GNU Screen

OS Version: FreeBSD 7-Stable
Screen Version: Screen version 4.00.03 (FAU) 23-Oct-06
Top level Terms: rxvt-unicode v9.05, xterm v237
PAGER: less -FiJqX
EDITOR: vim
Locale output:
Code:
Terry@dixie$ locale                                                        5:02
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
Terry@dixie$                                                               5:02
Top level $TERM is = rxvt / xterm (^ respectively ^), while the screen sessions use $TERM is = screen.

I first noticed the problem when I had to bring out an old friend in my toolbox (perl), when using perldoc I would get strange accented a or A like characters in place of certain characters in the output, so I just did a ssh to my server and read the perldocs there (it's an OpenBSD box with no LC_* or LANG settings in use) and things worked perfect. When I finished my scripts, I noticed the plain old documentation output to my term was just as wacky. As another test, I opened (in vim) some old files with German umlauts, which were also displayed crazy -> as they would be under the wrong locale.

If I open urxvt or xterm and then run perldoc (or check my files) in that without screen, everything works correctly. I've tried screens -U, -a, -O, and -T options but no dice.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with screen, or perhaps know of a work around?

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th December 2008
Administrator

I have described similar things here, maybe that would help you:
http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=125

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th December 2008
Arp Constable

Nope

My system has ~/login.conf set for en_US.UTF-8, and in ~/.Terry_shrc which serves like ENV in all my interactive shells; it sets LANG, LC_ALL, and MM_CHARSET; since I've encountered some programs that obey $LC_ALL but not $LANG. But no luck what so ever with getting this to work in screen :\

Now, playing around a bit more, I have noticed this; if I launch urxvt, then execute screen -U -m to start a new screen session, it doesn't work irregardless of the environment variables (ref my last post). But if I launch an xterm from bbrun or my current urxct/screen session, launch urxvt from that xterm, then run screen -m in the urxvt window that comes up -> perldoc works correctly.

oy...

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th December 2008
Arp Constable

Placing this in the shell script that GDM uses to start my X session, seems to correct most of the problem:

Code:
 #
 # override our locale environment
 #
 # locale related settings   (DEFAULT)
 TZ='Etc/UTC'; export TZ                 # my time zone
 LANG='en_US.UTF-8'; export LANG         # language.encoding
 # some programs require us to set LC_ALL manually as well.
 LC_ALL='en_US.UTF-8'; export LC_ALL
 MM_CHARSET='UTF-8'; export MM_CHARSET