DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th November 2012
Port Guard

Default How to cross-compile the kernel?

(I know cross-compilation is discouraged by FAQ 5.11.12)

I have a machine that's not officially supported by OpenBSD. However, there's a simple patch on the internet. So I think cross-compilation is still better than running Linux or selling the device.

Any suggestions how to do that?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th November 2012
More noise than signal

To the best of my understanding, each cross-compilation effort is unique and requires a significant manual effort. I've seen this discussed in general terms in presentations and papers....you might review the papers and events links at the Project website.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th November 2012
Port Guard

Doesn't sound like an easy task...
Next time I probably should take the official documentation more serious and not rely on hacks from the internet.

Thank you, jggimi.

EDIT:
You probably meant this:
http://openbsd.org/papers/mips32-openbsd.pdf

Last edited by Skinny; 19th November 2012 at 08:58 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th November 2012
More noise than signal

That's one, yes. I don't recall a specific paper or slide deck: there might have been a recorded talk from an event.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th November 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
(I know cross-compilation is discouraged by FAQ 5.11.12)
The project developers have grounded reasons for their discouragement. Cross-compilation has very subtle issues involved which are hard to catch in practice. One needs to know what they are doing when breaking new ground.

Given that you have not given any details as to hardware, it is difficult to provide assistance other than to talk in gross generalities. My suggestion to you, if you want to continue this quest, is to scour the NetBSD project's Website & mailing lists, since they advocate cross-compilation as a general practice (out of necessity at times...).
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th November 2012
Shell Scout

Quote:
I have a machine that's not officially supported by OpenBSD. However, there's a simple patch on the internet. So I think cross-compilation is still better than running Linux or selling the device.
What machine? What patch?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th November 2012
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
The project developers have grounded reasons for their discouragement.
My choice is limited to
1) cross-compile
2) use Linux
3) sell it
I wanted to try #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Given that you have not given any details as to hardware, it is difficult to provide assistance other than to talk in gross generalities.
Zaurus C1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrow
What patch?
http://www10.ocn.ne.jp/~a.koba/openbsd/zaurus48.html
(near the end of the article)
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st November 2012
Spam Deminer

Quote:
My choice is limited to
1) cross-compile
2) use Linux
3) sell it
I wanted to try #1.
Let us know if you manage to do this. I'm in a similar boat, where I have OpenBSD running on an old PowerMac but prefer to use a relatively newer laptop (5 years old as opposed to 12 years old) that won't boot into OpenBSD. For me #2 is DragonFly instead of Linux, which is kind of neat, particularly hammer, but I'd still rather be using OpenBSD. When the drivers work in OpenBSD everything else tends to work perfectly and there are little bits of fine polish that no one else does as well in my opinion.

What choice is there other than to cross compile if you want to try to fix it yourself? I suppose the right thing to do, from the perspective of helping the project, would be to write down and submit the dmesg up to where it fails and hope a developer takes interest, but I would like to try to take this on myself (eventually). Besides, they all have lots of other things to do other than trying to get my laptop working.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st November 2012
Port Guard

Finally solved it without recompilation:
- install OpenBSD as described in INSTALL.zaurus
- boot bsd.rd again and start a shell
- mount wd0a to /mnt
- mount wd0f to /usr
- 'config -e -o /mnt/bsd.new /mnt/bsd'
- 'disable com'
- 'cd /mnt; mv bsd bsd.old; cp bsd.new bsd'

Unfortunately the screen stays bright even when the device is suspended. So I'll probably sell it nevertheless... (Reboot is really slow because you first need to boot Linux then 'insmod zbsdmod.o' then boot OBSD)
Old 24th November 2012
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
I suppose the right thing to do, from the perspective of helping the project, would be to write down and submit the dmesg up to where it fails and hope a developer takes interest, but I would like to try to take this on myself (eventually). Besides, they all have lots of other things to do other than trying to get my laptop working.
Please send in a dmesg even if you plan on fixing it yourself. They help the project discover how many people use particular hardware, can help correlate particular problems to different hardware types, and can help if a developer does gain an interest in the problem.
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrow View Post
Please send in a dmesg even if you plan on fixing it yourself. They help the project discover how many people use particular hardware, can help correlate particular problems to different hardware types, and can help if a developer does gain an interest in the problem.
Okay, sometime before the end of the year I'll submit it. I've actually been remiss in submitting some information that might be useful to the DragonFly people which I want to get through first, the panic I'm seeing at the very least.
Old 26th November 2012
More noise than signal

There was a thread about booting the C1000 on the arm@ mailing list seven years ago. Just in case you haven't seen it, here's a link to the first post in that thread:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-arm&m=112913313305656&w=2