DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th July 2008
Spam Deminer

Default Speed of and speeding up sshfs

Currently, I'm using sshfs to mount the home directory from my FreeBSD box on my MacBook Pro. It works quite well even when I'm on an external network. I can even listen to music and watch some videos that are on my box with good speed on an external network. On my home network, it's no issue at all. What I'd really like to know is if there's a way of speeding up sshfs, even though I'm quite happy with performance now. Is speed dependent upon the network connection speed, you know T1, T3, cable or is distance a factor as well? (I ask because of weird experiences.)

On another note, how does an Icecast stream work? I was considering setting one up, instead of accessing my music the way I am via sshfs. Can you change songs and such from the client or is that done server side? Would it be more efficient than my current method?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th July 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatux View Post
is distance a factor as well?
Try streaming movies from America if you're in Europe
Distance maters, but only at long distances, otherwise you won't notice
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th July 2008
Spam Deminer

Lol, I'll be two to three hours away from home when I'm at college starting in the fall. It's only two or three states away, so I guess distance is negligible.