DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st April 2016
Package Pilot

Default Upgraded to 5.9

I just wanted to report that I have upgraded to OpenBSD 5.9, and so far, I like it a lot.

The developers put in a huge effort in to upgrades. Looks like there have been some fixes to the iwm driver. Although the network that I connect to here in my building, because of the massive load put on it, kicks you out sometimes, there is a huge difference. I haven't gotten kicked out once so far.

I decided to go with XFCE windows manager instead of Gnome. It is definitely more responsive and in sync with OpenBSD. Gnome wasn't quite there in speed.

I do have some issues with XFCE however. The restart, shutdown, hibernate, and suspend buttons are grayed out. This was not the case with Gnome. The system cannot be shut down properly. The two of main concern, are, the restart and shutdown buttons. XFCE does not allow me to login with the root account.

I decided against adding a non standard account to the operator group, because I don't like the idea of that user being able to drop into single user mode.

I got caught with my pants down with keepassx. Prior to doing the upgrade, of course I backed up the password file. When I tried to open the password file with the new version that pkg_add installs under 5.9, keepassx informed me, that "I will not be able to open this file with the current version of keppassx, sorry. "A migration of the old database format to the new, failed. I had to go to an internet cafe, and download the old version 0.4.4 on a windows machine. I am still in the process of backing the database to a text file, so I can recreate it on this new version. I wish there was an easy way to get the old database files into the new format.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st April 2016
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstorm View Post
I do have some issues with XFCE however. The restart, shutdown, hibernate, and suspend buttons are grayed out.
I don't use XFCE anymore, but, by then, you could have these buttons working by adding this to the sudo configuration:
Code:
your_user_name ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/local/lib/xfce4/session/xfsm-shutdown-helper
or (after adding yourself to the users group):
Code:
%users ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/local/lib/xfce4/session/xfsm-shutdown-helper
See how this works with doas.

The migration to the new KeePass format worked in my case. It creates a new file though, so this is not as bad as the warning sounds.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st April 2016
More noise than signal

XFCE requires some extra steps to enable shutdown/reboot.

See /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/xfce-4.12p3
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st April 2016
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by albator View Post
I don't use XFCE anymore, but, by then, you could have these buttons working by adding this to the sudo configuration:
Code:
your_user_name ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/local/lib/xfce4/session/xfsm-shutdown-helper
or (after adding yourself to the users group):
Code:
%users ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/local/lib/xfce4/session/xfsm-shutdown-helper
See how this works with doas.
So can I just add one or the other of the above lines to the doas.conf file?

Quote:
The migration to the new KeePass format worked in my case. It creates a new file though, so this is not as bad as the warning sounds.
I just tried the migration again after a reboot, and this time it worked, thankfully, as this just saved me a lot of time.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd April 2016
Shell Scout

Here is the part mentioning your issue in the file xfce-4.12p3

Logging out and shutting down the computer
==========================================
If your installation supports complete shutdown, clicking on the logout
button on panel will permit you to either logout, rebooting or halt
the computer.

Halting and rebooting require consolekit2 and polkit: you'll need to
run a systemwide D-BUS service (add messagebus to pkg_scripts in
rc.local) and pass --with-ck-launch argument to startxfce4. If you run
a systemwide D-BUS service, have consolekit2/polkit installed and
don't use --with-ck-launch you will not be able to shutdown/reboot.

If you prefer to handle this problem with doas, you need to look at doas.conf(5)
In /etc/doas.conf you should have something like:
Code:
permit nopass your_user_name as root cmd /usr/local/lib/xfce4/session/xfsm-shutdown-helper
(I assume here that this command hasn't change since my last use of XFCE, a few years ago.)

Glad you finally made it for KeePass. I was about to ask you to send me privately your database. I would have fixed that for you

Last edited by albator; 2nd April 2016 at 01:43 PM. Reason: adding the hilarious joke about KeePass
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd April 2016
Package Pilot

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by albator View Post
Here is the part mentioning your issue in the file xfce-4.12p3

Logging out and shutting down the computer
==========================================
If your installation supports complete shutdown, clicking on the logout
button on panel will permit you to either logout, rebooting or halt
the computer.

Halting and rebooting require consolekit2 and polkit: you'll need to
run a systemwide D-BUS service (add messagebus to pkg_scripts in
rc.local) and pass --with-ck-launch argument to startxfce4. If you run
a systemwide D-BUS service, have consolekit2/polkit installed and
don't use --with-ck-launch you will not be able to shutdown/reboot.

If you prefer to handle this problem with doas, you need to look at doas.conf(5)
In /etc/doas.conf you should have something like:
Code:
permit nopass your_user_name as root cmd /usr/local/lib/xfce4/session/xfsm-shutdown-helper
(I assume here that this command hasn't change since my last use of XFCE, a few years ago.)

Glad you finally made it for KeePass. I was about to ask you to send me privately your database. I would have fixed that for you
A reboot was required for me to actually be able to migrate the keepassx database.

As far as the readme for xfce, I had already gone over it prior to configuring xfce. I only went over the sections I needed for getting it to start. I should have read the whole thing.

I am going to be reading the doas.conf man page, as I have a lot of uses for it.

I appreciate all of your help.....