DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th October 2018
Shell Scout

Default Replacement for NFS?

What do OpenBSD folks use instead of NFS (other than Samba)? I know there's an older version included in base, but I get the impression it's not very secure.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th October 2018
Open Source Software user

If it's in the base system, it will have been checked over, as are all the utility programs in the base system, OpenBSD prides itself on security of the base install.

I'd think it as secure as your server is, that's more likely to be a weak point, if not set up correctly.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th October 2018
More noise than signal

OpenBSD includes NFS V3. The OpenBSD FAQ includes a section on NFS. It does not cover securing NFS, since the options available to the infrastructure admin are well outside the bounds of a simple FAQ.

https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#NFS

To secure network traffic, the admin must use some form of private networking. Options include physically independent networks, 802.1Q VLANs, and IPSec encryption.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th October 2018
Shell Scout

Didn't mean to imply that the implementation was insecure, I had just gotten the impression that NFSv3 relies mostly on the trustworthiness of the network. I'm hesitant to do that, even on my own home network. I think the below is what I had remembered (which has since been removed from the FAQ). Maybe this simply isn't an issue on a local network?

Quote:
https://web.archive.org/web/20170213.../faq6.html#NFS:

If you are allowing outside access to your NFS server, and you have any kind of sensitive data stored on it, we strongly recommend that you employ IPsec. Otherwise, people can potentially see your NFS traffic. Someone could also pretend to be the IP address which you are allowing into your NFS server. There are several attacks that can result. When properly configured, IPsec protects against these types of attacks.
I've been using sshfs from packages, which works well enough. I was just wondering if there was a more appropriate tool for the job. I'll have a look at IPSec+NFS.

I also see OpenAFS in ports, anyone have any experience or knowledge of it?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th October 2018
OpenBSD language porter

OpenAFS in ports is extremely old and extremely broken. In fact, you can't actually build it, nor is there a package available.

NFS really is the way to go, with CIFS (samba) and SSHFS behind that. There is also the Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) which you can set up a server through the net/netatalk3 package and browse AFP shares through any GVfs-enabled file manager, such as GNOME3 nautilus, MATE caja, or Xfce Thunar.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th October 2018
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
OpenAFS in ports is extremely old and extremely broken. In fact, you can't actually build it, nor is there a package available.
And it's $ONLY_FOR_ARCHS=i386.

In the Project's history, there was an AFS client implementation at one time. The last cruft for it was removed in 2012.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th October 2018
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
And it's $ONLY_FOR_ARCHS=i386.
And also BROKEN-i386