DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Security

OpenBSD Security Functionally paranoid!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th August 2015
ISO Quartermaster

Default Unix file permissions vs chroot + systrace

Do you think that using Unix file permissions (DAC) is there a way to provide basic process isolation? For example: recent exploit on Firefox which can steal files from user account. If I will run Firefox on other user account, does this provide me some additional security off that kind of simple exploits?
Or I should use chroot + systrace.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th August 2015
OpenBSD language porter

If browser security is something you care about, you should seriously consider joining the Netsurf
http://www.netsurf-browser.org/
or Dillo
http://www.dillo.org/
development teams.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th August 2015
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1-531g View Post
Do you think that using Unix file permissions (DAC) is there a way to provide basic process isolation?
Processes are not isolated. But filesystem permission bits can be used for data access restriction. For example, you might have two userids on a workstation -- one for using untrusted browsers, and one for everything else. If you chmod(1) the $HOME directory of your "everything else" userid so that it can only be accessed by the owner, other userids (aside from the superuser) will not have access to it.
Quote:
Or I should use chroot + systrace.
With some effort, you could use chroot(8) -- but the entire userland the browser uses would need to be replicated. This is not a trivial task.

You mention systrace(1). It should not be used as a security tool, see the BUGS section of the man page. It is a system call policy governance tool. System calls not pre-approved will cause the application to be killed. Setting up a systrace policy rule set is complicated for any application, and changed to the application may require revisiting the rules. Browsers, due to their inherent complexity, may be much more difficult than other applications.

My only use of systrace these days is during port build testing -- and that is because the Project provides a systrace.policy for port builds.

Last edited by jggimi; 9th August 2015 at 10:30 PM. Reason: grammar
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th August 2015
Spam Deminer

Have you seen this thread on misc@

http://marc.info/?t=141616714600001&r=1&w=2

It talks about using a separate user and SSH for isolation.

Tim.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th August 2015
More noise than signal

I'd seen it. There were problems noted using ForwardX11 under SSH (ssh -X) and that the circumvention would be to use ForwardX11Trusted (ssh -Y). That trust model eliminates SSH as an isolation tool, since the objective is to operate an untrusted application.

Tags
discretionary access control, process isolation, security