DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2009
Shell Scout

Default Strange issues with 7.2

Hi,

Let's start first with this - a couple of days ago we had to change our ISP and now everything is configured and working, but however there are some small issue that I just cannot understand.

At home I have a FreeBSD 6.1 gateway which is doing NAT for the internal network, firewall-ing, etc.. Behind the gateway I've another 7.2 system which I use for file server, and one 7.2 Desktop system, and a couple of Windows machines. Everything is working fine, except for BSDs.

First - pinging a remote host from BSD systems takes way too much, than pinging the same host from a Windows machine. Don't know why but resolving hostnames under the FreeBSD systems is taking too much time.

On the same 7.2 desktop system I also have Windows XP and Debian installed. Under Debian resolving a remote host also takes a lot of time, while under Windows XP - everything is working just fine!

Just to mention - nothing was changed or installed on these systems recently.

The second thing is that startx on the 7.2 desktop is taking also a lot of time to start up (usually it was taking ~1 second to load, and now it's taking ~5-10 seconds!).

top shows nothing, expect that for a very short period of time hald was doing something - so I disabled it. Rebooted the system and tried to startx and then X couldn't start and I get this errors:

Code:
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
I suspect xauth has something to do, but didn't figure out what exactly yet. After a couple of reboots everything is back to normal and on the next reboot it happens again.

Do you know what might be causing this? All BSDs have issues while resolving hostnames, while Windows machines do not..? And X is just waaay too slow now.. That's definitely something that I haven't come across.. until now.

Thanks for any feedback and sorry for the long post

Useful links: FreeBSD Handbook | FreeBSD Developer's Handbook | The Porter's Handbook | PF User's Guide | unix-heaven.org
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
top shows nothing, expect that for a very short period of time hald was doing something - so I disabled it. Rebooted the system and tried to startx and then X couldn't start and I get this errors
Unless you need xauth for some reason, I would recommend starting X with the xinit(1) command -- This is the same as startx except it doesn't do any xauth stuff, which us usually fine.

Quote:
First - pinging a remote host from BSD systems takes way too much, than pinging the same host from a Windows machine. Don't know why but resolving hostnames under the FreeBSD systems is taking too much time.
Are you using the same DNS servers on both machines? In BSD it's /etc/resolv.conf, on Windows I believe you can check with ipconfig -a in a cmd prompt.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th September 2009
Shell Scout

Hi,

This morning I re-checked every configuration file and found out that I was having some wrong entries in /etc/hosts - after we changed the ISP seems like that I forgot to update /etc/hosts file as well. I guess I was just too tired last night and didn't notice this

Fixing /etc/hosts fixes the startx issue.

In the internal network the gateway is also a DHCP server - so it sends the clients the right DNS servers. But however I also re-checked the resolv.conf file on the gateway and yes - it was containing the old DNS servers (another thing that I just didn't notice last night )

So I fixed the resolv.conf entries and did a reboot - just for sure.

Results are as follows:
  • Windows clients are still able to perform a faster ping-ing than the BSD systems
  • Ping-ing remote hosts from BSD systems takes a lot till the actual ping starts - probably DNS resolving is taking more time?

Doing an nslookup from Windows clients sometimes returns this, sometimes resolves normally:
Code:
> nslookup youtube.com
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address <dns-server1>: Timed out
*** Can't find server name for address <dns-server2>: Non-existent domain
*** Default servers are not available
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  <dns-server1>

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out
Resolving the same host from BSD - resolves normal and even faster:

Code:
nslookup youtube.com
Server:         <dns-server1>
Address:        <dns-server1>#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   youtube.com
Address: 74.125.127.100
Address: 74.125.67.100
Address: 74.125.45.100
I guess that the Windows nslookup is doing a reverse lookup of the DNS servers as well, so that's why it gives this errors, but I don't understand why I get DNS request time-out?

After these tests I assume that now BSD systems make a faster DNS lookup and Windows clients sometimes fail to resolve - so I can exclude the possibility that DNS lookups are slower in BSD.

I'm outta of other ideas for now. I'll play later with tcpdump and check what goes inside and outside of the gateway.

Thanks again for the feedback, I'm open to accept other ideas as well to resolve this issue

Useful links: FreeBSD Handbook | FreeBSD Developer's Handbook | The Porter's Handbook | PF User's Guide | unix-heaven.org
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th September 2009
Shell Scout

Issue resolved.

The root cause that the primary DNS server was answering very slow. Changed the DNS server and now everything is working fine again

#5   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th September 2009
VPN Cryptographer

Just a hint: nslookup is an old, depreciated program that is best not used. The main issues is those redundant reverse dns lookups on the dns server's addresses, which creates noise. The program is also depreciated by it's authors, BIND. The replacements are host, which does a quick lookup of the provided address or IP, and dig, which provides more complete info.
Of course, nslookup is the only option on Windows boxen, which is typical!
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th September 2009
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbak View Post
Just a hint: nslookup is an old, depreciated program that is best not used. The main issues is those redundant reverse dns lookups on the dns server's addresses, which creates noise. The program is also depreciated by it's authors, BIND. The replacements are host, which does a quick lookup of the provided address or IP, and dig, which provides more complete info.
Of course, nslookup is the only option on Windows boxen, which is typical!
Yeap, thanks for the reply robbak!

I know nslookup is deprecated, but as you mentioned I don't have any other choice under Windows.

But what I still wonder is how those Windows machines automatically switched to the second (working) DNS server. The primary DNS server was not so responsive, and browsing was very slow.

Anyway, I've removed the primary DNS server and switched to another one