DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2009
New User

Default MySQL / Dovecot connection problem

I followed the guide FreeBSD-Postfix-MySQL-SpamAssassin-Maia-Virtual Setup (http://www.purplehat.org/?page_id=4). And now i have some problems. Obviously it has something to do with Dovecot not connecting to MySQL. Anyone have any suggestions of the reason?

Here is a sample of the error from maillog.log:

Code:
Jul 11 00:11:03 mserver dovecot: auth(default): client in: AUTH	7	PLAIN	service=pop3	lip=192.168.1.103	rip=192.168.1.1	lport=110	rport=21987	resp=
Jul 11 00:11:03 mserver dovecot: auth(default): client out: CONT	7	
Jul 11 00:11:03 mserver dovecot: auth(default): client in: CONT	7	AHNlcnZlcmFkbWluQHN0ZWFsdGhjb25uZWN0LmNvbQA1UEZJNnkzbVpMMkMk
Jul 11 00:11:03 mserver dovecot: auth-worker(default): mysql: Connect failed to localhost (postfix): Access denied for user 'postfix'@'localhost' (using password: YES) - waiting for 75 seconds before retry
Jul 11 00:11:03 mserver dovecot: auth-worker(default): sql(user@domain.tld,192.168.1.1): query: SELECT password FROM mailbox WHERE username = 'user@domain.tld'
Jul 11 00:11:03 mserver dovecot: auth-worker(default): sql(user@domain.tld,192.168.1.1): Password query failed: Not connected to database
Jul 11 00:11:05 mserver dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 7 attempts): user=<user@domain.tld>, method=PLAIN, rip=192.168.1.1, lip=192.168.1.103
Jul 11 00:11:05 mserver dovecot: auth(default): client out: FAIL	7	user=user@domain.tld	temp
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2009
Shell Scout

Hi,

Probably 'postfix' user cannot login to the database, cause of a wrong password.

Try to manually connect to the database from the command-line:
Code:
mysql -u postfix -p
It seems also that you are using the default settings -- "domain.tld" -- have made the appropriate changes to the config files?

Show you /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf and /usr/local/etc/dovecont-sql.conf files.

Regards,
D

Useful links: FreeBSD Handbook | FreeBSD Developer's Handbook | The Porter's Handbook | PF User's Guide | unix-heaven.org
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2009
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAeon View Post
Hi,

Probably 'postfix' user cannot login to the database, cause of a wrong password.

Try to manually connect to the database from the command-line:
Code:
mysql -u postfix -p
It seems also that you are using the default settings -- "domain.tld" -- have made the appropriate changes to the config files?

Show you /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf and /usr/local/etc/dovecont-sql.conf files.

Regards,
D
The password is the right one. And i changed the real domain to domain.tld because i didn't want to reveal the actual one.

But i found something about this problem at this page:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/MysqlProblems

Obviously i need to do this (i think):
Quote:
cd dovecot
perl -i -pe 's/sha1_result/dovecot_sha1_result/' `find . -name '*.[ch]'`
One question though - do i do this in "/usr/ports/mail/dovecot/" and then install dovecot. Have i understand this right?