DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
rubenerd
-Guest-

Angry PAE and official Nvidia drivers

A friend of mine who's recently switched from Debain Etch to FreeBSD (perhaps due to nagging on my part that he wasn't using a real Unix system ) is using the i386 version even though he's capable of running AMD64 because of the usual official Nvidia drivers only supporting the former.

Problem is, because he's got 6 gigs of RAM (2x2GiB and 2x1GiB) he's using PAE to support it all which works fine with the nv drivers but not with the official Nvidia ones.

Is there any other way to get around the 4GiB limitation on the i386 system and use the official Nvidia drivers, or to get the official Nvidia drivers to work with PAE, or should I tell o'l Mark he should probably go back to Debian if he wants/needs better graphics performance? Any ideas?

As far as I can tell he just wanted to run Xfce with the Xfwm composting engine, no 3D games in Wine or whatnot but he's really adamant on running the official drivers. Those Debain folk
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Port Guard

"Is there any other way to get around the 4GiB limitation on the i386 system and use the official Nvidia drivers?" - As far as I know it is impossible. Actually on i386 I cant get freebsd+nvidia to run with more than 2 gigs. (But my mobo doesn have option for memory allocation). PAE is not supported by nvidia too.
The best case is that your friend will be able to use about 3.5G of his memory.

"official" nvidia freebsd support forum is here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2008
rubenerd
-Guest-

That's what I suspected, I'll let him know, cheers.

AMD64 Nvidia drivers would solve a lot of very interconnected things it seems. If I hold my breath though for an announcement... I'd probably sufficate!

Tags
drivers, nvidia, pae