DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd February 2010
Shell Scout

Default I need to get the bootmanager to move :-)

Hi all

I have a dual box XP and FBSD 8. Somewhere in the process of installing FBSD 8 (which was after XP, and both are on different HDDs) I managed to have FBSD and XP dual boot, with FBSD taking care of the boot menu (you know, the F1, F5, choices), thanks to the excellent FBSD-books I have. Now I am experimenting with Truecrypt and I want it to encrypt the XP-partition (C:\). On installing that, it starts complaining:

Quote:
Truecrypt does not support multiboot where the bootloader is non MS. Try to moving the bootloader to a partition, the TC bootloader will recognize your second OS
(practical summary by me :-)).

So I went into sysinstall and at least as far as I know I told FBSD to not install the bootmanager on drive 1 but to install it on drive 2, but nothing happens; the bootmanager is still there. I don't know how to solve this.

Of course, I could just simply restore the windows bootloader on drive 1 (thereby removing the FBSD menu 'hard handed') and then Truecrypt will encrypt without problems I guess, but I want TC also to recognize FBSD on disk 2, and for that as far as I can tell the FBSD bootloader needs to be on disk 2 first, no?

Could anybody perhaps shed a light?

I am in your debt as always

Thank you & bye,

B.