DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th August 2015
ISO Quartermaster

Default Dual booting encrypted OpenBSD with Windows

Hello
I want to have installed Windows 8.1 and OpenBSD 5.7 or current.
I want to encrypt OpenBSD. I think of FDE, but I can also have, for example, / unencrypted (but I would like to encrypt /home, /tmp, swap, and I don't like to make more than 3 disklabel partitions for one install).
Does the steps to follow to dual boot Windows and OpenBSD are changing, when FDE is used?

My laptop is UEFI compatible, but of course I use "Legacy boot" mode and MBR.

Last edited by e1-531g; 6th August 2015 at 09:02 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th August 2015
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1-531g View Post
...I can also have, for example, / unencrypted ...
That and other partitions. My portable devices (laptop and netbook) both use encrypted /home filesystems only. I've previously deployed bootable RAID1 arrays on servers, which is similar, as those deployments were also a softraid(4) Discipline.
Quote:
I would like to encrypt /home, /tmp, swap...
OpenBSD's swap has been encrypted by default since release 3.9. I don't encrypt /tmp, instead, I use a RAM-based /tmp. I used to use mount_mfs(8) but once mount_tmpfs(8) was added for release 5.4, I've been using it instead .
Quote:
...I don't like to make more than 3 disklabel partitions for one install...
I don't understand your disklike. This laptop I'm typing on now has 10 disklabel partitions, not including partition "c" -- but I had to run disklabel(8) to find that out. Partitioning for me is set-and-forget, until growth or change is needed.
Quote:
Does the steps to follow to dual boot Windows and OpenBSD are changing, when FDE is used?
The following should be considered, whether dual booting or not:

The OpenBSD installation steps are different. FDE requires the admin to manually provision the softraid(4) virtual drive before running the installation script.

The OpenBSD boot sequence is slightly different, in that the second-stage bootloader boot(8) is softraid-aware and the operator will be prompted for passphrase and/or keydisk.

----

For dual-booting, the process will depend on the management method chosen. If the "steps" you refer to are the ones in FAQ 4.9 with guidance for using the Windows bootloader for multiboot, and if they are unchanged between Win 7 and Win 8.1, then these should be similar.
Should. I do not know if there are changes to Windows bootloader provisioning between Win 7 and Win 8.1. And I do not dual-boot with Win 7. (I have dual-boot with WinXP on the netbook, but there I use sysutils/grub rather than the Windows bootloader. Grub is i386-only.)
With that "should" disclaimer:

The first-stage bootloader biosboot(8) will be in the same location, and the LBA of the second-stage bootloader boot(8) will be stored during execution of installboot(8) either during installation, upgrade, or manual use.

Last edited by jggimi; 7th August 2015 at 01:41 AM. Reason: typo
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th August 2015
ISO Quartermaster

My dislike for many partitions is for conserving disc space. Thanks jggimi for pointing out that swap is encrypted.

I have read FAQ 4.9. If Windows 8.1 is encrypted using BitLocker, entire C:\ partiton is encrypted. In this case Windows writes boot files to small (around 350 Mb) partition (System Reserved partition). In my case this small partition have F letter. Normal system partition (200 gigabytes wide) have C: letter.
I have followed FAQ 4.9 Windows 7 instructions with two modifications
1. I have copied openbsd.pbr file to F:
2. I have changed bcdedit /set something device partition letter to f:.

Now everything works. When I power on PC (laptop), Bitlocker's prompt for password for Windows always shows up. Then I can press F11. This shows me option to boot to OpenBSD or Windows. If I chose OpenBSD, laptop restarts and shows OpenBSD's prompt for password. When I enter correct password OpenBSD boots.
Thanks for answer.