DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2015
Fdisk Soldier

Smile Internal Interface Stats of PF

Hi,

I'm using OpenBSD 5.3 . I wan't to get the stats of the top talkers in my LAN using the internal interface of my PF. Is there any command for that?

currently I used pfctl -s info to get the information of the external interface. It show in and out traffic as a total value.

Thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2015
Administrator

You can get statistics for each rule if you use labels. Two examples:
Code:
# --- allow outgoing UDP 
pass out     quick on egress inet proto udp from any    to any port domain  label "$nr:$proto:DOMAIN"
pass out     quick on egress inet proto udp from any      to any port ntp     label "$nr:$proto:NTP"
The counters/stats:
Code:
#  pfctl -s labels
28:udp:DOMAIN 809265 1576581 192284486 784239 138767275 792342 53517211 792176
29:udp:NTP 14519 105540 8021040 52704 4005504 52836 4015536 12337
Those numbers are described in pfctl(8):
Quote:
Show per-rule statistics (label, evaluations, packets total, bytes total, packets in, bytes in, packets out, bytes out, state creations) of filter rules with labels, useful for accounting.
But this gives only the total stats, not for each user. To have stats by IP address you could add rules like
Code:
pass in quick on internal inet proto tcp from 10.0.0.1 label "$nr:$proto:John"
pass in quick on internal inet proto tcp from 10.0.0.2 to any flags S/SA label "1:tcp:Mary"
pass in quick on internal inet proto tcp from 10.0.0.3 to any flags S/SA label "2:tcp:10.0.0.3"
I never used any of the network stats packages which produces nice graphs. So I don't know if there is something that would give you the stats you want
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2015
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome!

Everyone has their preferences. I'm partial to collecting Netflow statistics, which on OpenBSD are managed via pflow(4). I use net/nfsen as my monitoring tool, combining Netflow statistics from multiple routers. NFSen can be used with a single router, too.

Here are some screenshots from NfSen's website.

FYI: support for OpenBSD 5.3 ended on May 1, 2014. Only the two most recent releases are supported, which are 5.7 and 5.8. Support for 5.7 will end on or about May 1, 2016, with the release of 5.9.

Last edited by jggimi; 14th December 2015 at 11:38 AM. Reason: added screenshot link
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2015
Fdisk Soldier

Hi Both,

Many thanks for your valuable information.

Thanks

Amitha
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2015
More noise than signal

I just used NfSen, even though I'm away from my network.

I'd received an Email from a shipping company to tell me a package had been delivered. I logged in to my home NfSen webserver (protected with client certificates) to arm an alert: I directed it to send me an Email when my son wakes up and begins to use his Windows workstation. I'll call him and ask him to take the package in from the front door where it was dropped.

Yes, I could have the alert send him a text message to his phone, so that I'm not even involved. But I like the personal touch of reaching him directly.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2015
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
I logged in to my home NfSen webserver (protected with client certificates) to arm an alert: I directed it to send me an Email when my son wakes up and begins to use his Windows workstation.
I've done similar, such as setting pf anchors to shut down internet connectivity to my daughter's vlan at a certain time, or watching traffic to tell her to get off of youtube and get back to her studies.

Parenting just isn't what it used to be =)
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket357 View Post
I've done similar, such as setting pf anchors to shut down internet connectivity to my daughter's vlan at a certain time, or watching traffic to tell her to get off of youtube and get back to her studies.

Parenting just isn't what it used to be =)
+1

I am doing the same to my Irish twins (girls)
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th January 2016
Fdisk Soldier

Hi,

Could I know the following code for PF in detail please?

Quote:
table <usage> const { 192.168.1.1 }
pass on $ext_if from any to <usage> label "accounting"
In my OpenBSD firewall the /var partition is getting low in free disk capacity frequently. If I add this command to my PF will it become worst? I want to know what this command does?

Thanks
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th January 2016
More noise than signal

Neither of these two rules cause any disk I/O. They add 90 bytes to your pf.conf file's length.

The first rule creates a table in memory, containing one IP address. The second rule passes traffic destined for the single IP address, and adds a PF label to the rule. This label is only usable with pfctl(8) status reporting of in-kernel packet statstics, unrelated to process accounting records you might record in /var/accounts.

Last edited by jggimi; 27th January 2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 29th January 2016
Fdisk Soldier

Thanks a lot Jggimi.