DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th December 2009
New User

Default Huawei E169 (e220) Internet connection on NetBSD

Hi, I was wonder if anybody have idea how to establish connection to the Internet in NetBSD 5.01 with Huawei E169 (E220) modem?
My modem is recognised at /dev/usb0. All info from ISP are:

APN: internet
Login: none
Hasło: none
Access number: *99***1#

DNS:

Currently I run my NetBSD on VirtualBox, to check out it is possible to connect to the net. I read some stuff but all of them were connected to other BSDs and doesn't work or there aren't some tools which I may use to do so. If it is needed I'll try to provide some extra info like i.e. dmesg. But it will be rather difficult cause I'll need to rewrite it from the terminal output :P
All in all, I would appreciate for Your help, thanks in advance for help!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th December 2009
New User

There is small mistake - there where is word "Hasło" it should be "Password".
I made printscreens of terminal output of usbdevs -v and dmesg:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dmesg.jpg (17.7 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg usbdevs_-v.jpg (14.5 KB, 120 views)
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th December 2009
Banned

It is being incorrectly detected as a USB mass storage device, there also appears to be a problem reading the productID string.

The device node /dev/usb0 is not an indication of proper detection, that is probably used by libusb applications to access the USB bus.

This may or may not have been fixed in NetBSD's source tree yet, you can obtain developmental releases from the following site:
http://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/

If it is not, you may wish to submit a bug report.. or send a message to their mailing lists.

You may also want to consider trying OpenBSD, support for cellular modems is quite mature.

Good luck.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th December 2009
Administrator

Search the forums for Huawei and you will find 2 threads in the OpenBSD section, which can help you further.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th December 2009
New User

Thanks! I was thinking about OpenBSD, but as long as it is mostly directed to server purposes it would be quite difficult to make it useful for a simple user of simple daily needs as I'm :P Well, all in all it is not a problem to configure an Internet connection with Huawei E169 at all? I mean problem like this one.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th December 2009
New User

Yeah, I saw them before (I usualy read forum before ask ) and there are still some troubles.. As I wrote before I'll maybe try OpenBSD... I rather denay FreeBSD 'cause it doesn't support Core 2 Duo - as I have read recently.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th December 2009
Administrator

PPP is pretty well the same on all BSD's, I don't think you have to switch OS.
Well maybe try a real install instead of on top of Virtual Box.

And we can use some extra NetbSD expertise here on the forum.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th December 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
PPP is pretty well the same on all BSD's, I don't think you have to switch OS.
Well maybe try a real install instead of on top of Virtual Box.

And we can use some extra NetbSD expertise here on the forum.
The problem here is the modem is not being detected a USB modem, i.e: it doesn't present itself to userland as a serial port.. doesn't matter if NetBSD has a working PPP implementation at this stage.

It may be as simple as patching their relevant drivers to attach to this device, i.e: nudge it out of USB mass storage mode.

A lot of USB devices attach as a tiny CD-ROM drive with Windows driver included, OpenBSD's ubsa(4)/umsm(4) drivers have few known methods of doing such nudging.. AFAIK FreeBSD ships with a utility to do it.

With some devices, using eject(1) is enough to have it attach with the proper driver.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th December 2009
Port Guard

Hi Peiteros,

It's a working pppd configuration: http://www.daemonforums.org/showpost...82&postcount=5

I'm using E169 with Playmobile provider. However You may encounter annoying bug while using this modem. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-...msg010208.html

Best Regards/ Pozdrawiam
Tom
Old 19th December 2009
New User

Hi! Thanks for help - as I saw You've done it before But there comes a trouble - when I putted Your code to the pppd script it give me info that device /dev/ttyU0 coouldn't be found and it isn't configured.. How can I attach my modem to that device (ofcourse as long as if it is really necessary)?

Również pozdrawiam
Old 19th December 2009
Port Guard

I think that BSDfan666 described already the problem.

Huawei should be recognized as a uhmodem. Do you have a GENERIC kernel?

I should warn you also that even you can make it work, it's very irritating. For my it works only when ACPI is disabled and when i plug it in while loading the system, otherwise system panics.

There was a lot of bug reports but don't know if there was a fix. Try maybe with the latest current release.
Old 19th December 2009
New User

Yeah, I've got a generic kernel. I already haven't try this in Your way - I've got a lot of other work. I'm going to solve that and as I do this (or not) I'll write how to make this working (if it will be in the other way than presented already).

Tags
huawei