DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2008
Port Guard

Default OpenBSD Wi-Fi acces point

Recently I bought myself a notebook with Wi-Fi. I would like to know which wi-fi cards I can use to transform my OpenBSD router into a wi-fi AP and if someone has done this can give me some examples of configs or documentation wich will be usefull. Thenk's a lot.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordZ View Post
I would like to know which wi-fi cards I can use to transform my OpenBSD router into a wi-fi AP...
  • The first place to search & study is the hardware compatibility list:

http://openbsd.org/i386.html
  • Once you have identified the chipset desired, searching the archives of the misc@ mailing list will be invaluable in finding other people's experiences:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&r=1&w=2
  • Last, but not least, study the manpage for the associated driver. Here, you will find configuration information.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2008
More noise than signal

You can also use an external AP on your wired network -- depending on your server's location and your Ethernet wiring, this may have significant range advantages over a "local" WiFi NIC in a PCI slot or connected via USB. (This is what I use.)
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2008
Port Guard

Well the server in my apartment this is why I wanted to use a card, a wi fi AP costs about 100$ here which is half of what I am paid monthly. Damn communist country
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th October 2008
New User

Then you would want to get a PCI wifi based on ral(4) as that support hostap, which will turn your router into an access point.

There should be others drivers that support hostap but that's the first one that I remembered.