DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
New User

Default Need to update my FreeBSD...help

My system specs:
  • FreeBSD: 4.8
  • PHP: 4.4.2
  • Apache: 1.3
  • MySQL: 3.23.55
  • CPU: P2 300mhz
  • HDD: 300GB
  • Host: Me. This is a hobby server hosted in my home
Plain and simple I'm GROSSLY outdated on things. I built this server back in 2006, and since then I got horribly lazy. Recently the need has arisen for me to update things. I would like to update the server (install newer version of FreeBSD, so on and so forth). I HAVE read the tutorial at freebsd.org, and even read freebsddiary.org. However neither one seems to address the issue I'm running into.

My issue:
The issue is that I can't install cvsup. According to http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ook/cvsup.html & http://www.freebsddiary.org/cvsup.php it should be pretty simple to install it. However when I follow the methods provided at either site I get the following:
Attempting to install cvsup-without-gui:
Code:
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 2303: warning: String comparison operator should be either == or !=
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 2303: warning: String comparison operator should be either == or !=
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 2303: Malformed conditional (((${OSVERSION} < 504105 || (${OSVERSION} >= 600000 && ${OSVERSION} < 600103) || (${OSVERSION} >= 700000 && ${OSVERSION} < 700012)) && ${PKGORIGIN} != "ports-mgmt/pkg_install") || exists(${LOCALBASE}/sbin/pkg_info))
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 2304: warning: String comparison operator should be either == or !=
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 2304: warning: String comparison operator should be either == or !=
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 2304: Malformed conditional ((${OSVERSION} < 504105 || (${OSVERSION} >= 600000 && ${OSVERSION} < 600103) || (${OSVERSION} >= 700000 && ${OSVERSION} < 700012)) && ${PKGORIGIN} != "ports-mgmt/pkg_install")
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 6122: if-less endif
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 6122: Need an operator
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 6125: if-less endif
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 6125: Need an operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
I'm betting there's a problem with bsd.port.mk (hrm....ya THINK?!?!?!?!)

I downloaded ports.tar.gz from ftp.freebsd.org and unpacked it. With a brand new bsd.port.mk in /usr/ports/Mk/, the issue is exactly the same (see "code" segment above).

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

Rather new to FreeBSD, but willing to learn.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
Uber Geek

I would just start clean and install a 'recent' version of freebsd!

on another note, I'd use csup over cvsup

Forum Netiquette
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
Package Pilot

Unfortunately I think your best bet at this point would be a clean re-install. Back up everything (data, configuration files, etc), and do a fresh install of the latest version of FreeBSD you wish to use (I'd go with 7.0 but others may recommend 6.3), install everything you had before (but with the latest version) and "port" your configuration files where necessary. I don't think there'll be an easy way.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
New User

Ha ha ha....I was afraid of that. Curse me for being so lazy these past years. So what are we talking this all entails? Essentially reformatting and starting from scratch?

Rather new to FreeBSD, but willing to learn.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
Arp Constable

I'm pretty sure 4.x ports and binary package support is a tad KIA by now ^_^.

If I had to *try* to update such a system manually, I would probably try either of the following methods to upgrade incrementally by major release until I found one that worked or was forced to reinstall before reaching my target:

fetch csup source code and compile it manually (preferably installing it into a private location: note csup has been in the base since like 6.2R or 6.1R).

Fetch system source code manually via Anonymous CVS

if rsync is installed, try fetching FreeBSD from an rsync mirror (I think it's possible, not hat I've ever tried it)

once system is up to date (e.g. 7-Stable or whatever rocks your boat). And assuming the level of mergemastering hasn't kille dyou yet, note down what services are installed packages, save a copy of what you have, delete all, install all.

Code:
vi /root/services.notes
pkg_info > /root/pkg_info.old
# back up your apache, php, and mysql setup first
pkg_delete -fx *

... install software as needed via ports/packages ...

For doing a reinstall, you can just dump every thing important (like your webroot and mysqldumping mysql). Install the new FreeBSD using a total reformat, then setup & restore files as needed and get the services reinstalled.

*just my two cents: I am not employed as a system administrator, follow any advice at own risk*

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.

Last edited by TerryP; 9th June 2008 at 05:37 PM.