DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Programming

Programming C, bash, Python, Perl, PHP, Java, you name it.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th January 2016
Arp Constable

Default xterm default shell differences between OpenBSD and FreeBSD/NetBSD

I digested about 1/3 of a book on shell scripting and have been trying to add weather information to an openbox window manager.
The following works with the default shell in FreeBSD and NetBSD:
~/scripts/weather.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
curl -sk http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KYKM.TXT | \
fold -w 78 -s
echo ""
read -p "<Enter to Close>" nothing
Which I call with the following openbox menu entry
Code:
xterm -g 78x16+150+38 -T "Yakima, WA Weather" -e ~/scripts/weather.sh
When I try the same script/menu entry in OpenBSD the xterm does not wait for "read" input and closes immediately.

Using $ xterm -hold -e ~/scripts/test.sh I get the following:
Code:
YAKIMA AIR TERMINAL, WA, United States (KYKM) 46-34N 120-32W 324M
Jan 04, 2016 - 04:53 PM EST / 2016.01.04 2153 UTC
Wind: Calm:0
Visibility: 10 mile(s):0
Sky conditions: mostly cloudy
Temperature: 30.0 F (-1.1 C)
Dew Point: 21.9 F (-5.6 C)
Relative Humidity: 71%
Pressure (altimeter): 29.82 in. Hg (1009 hPa)
ob: KYKM 042153Z 00000KT 10SM BKN014 M01/M06 A2982 RMK AO2 SLP112 T10111056
cycle: 22

./test.sh[5]: read: -p: no coprocess
Ideally, I would like the scripts to be portable. Can someone give me a brief explanation and suggestions about how to script this for OpenBSD? Ultimately, I would like to pass the output into a dialog program like zenity or yad.

Last edited by shep; 5th January 2016 at 02:51 AM. Reason: added output from OpenBSD 5.8
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th January 2016
Administrator

I always use printf(1) to print/echo the prompt.
Code:
#read -p "<Enter to Close>" nothing
printf "<Enter to Close> " ; read nothing
When I invoke the script with $ xterm -e 'shep.sh' the new xterm prompts me properly and only closes when I press the Enter key;
Code:
[snip]
ressure (altimeter): 29.82 in. Hg (1009 hPa)
ob: KYKM 042358Z 08004KT 10SM SCT018 BKN070 BKN100 M02/M06 A2982 RMK AO2 
T10221061
cycle: 0

<Enter to Close>
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th January 2016
Arp Constable

Thanks
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th January 2016
OpenBSD language porter

I want to resurrect this to clear up some ambiguities:
Your question isn't at all about xterm--it's about the /bin/sh program on the different BSDs.
xterm is a terminal emulator. That means it emulates hardware, in this case most often a vt220 with color. It doesn't care about the software running inside it (including but not limited to the shell). It is the shell that is executing your script and the differences between /bin/sh on OpenBSD vs. the other BSDs is what matters here.
On FreeBSD, DragonFly BSD, and NetBSD, /bin/sh is ash--the Almquist shell. A modified version of this shell is used for Debian's /bin/sh (dash, the Debian Almquist shell). However, on OpenBSD, /bin/sh is effectively a hardlink to /bin/ksh; in other words, /bin/sh on OpenBSD is ksh (Korn shell).
Now here's where things go awry: read is a shell built-in. That means it is something handled by the shell and is not guaranteed to work the same way between shells. And indeed, that matters here, because the ksh read built-in is quite different from the one in ash.
Additionally, your use of echo suffers from the same fate; calling it unqualified like that will use the shell built-in instead of /bin/echo. And again, the echo built-in is different between ksh and ash. And even /bin/echo is not guaranteed to be the same between *BSD and SYSV (there are historical differences). So if you care about portability, it is best to never use options with built-ins unless you can guarantee such an option will always be handled the same way on all shells (POSIX mandates a theoretical POSIX /bin/sh) and to use fully qualified external commands, such as /usr/bin/printf.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th January 2016
Tcpdump Spy

For some reason many people are confused about that. I once remember someone insisting that there's no difference between the terminal and shell :-/

At any rate, "What is the exact difference between a 'terminal', a 'shell', a 'tty' and a 'console'?" might be worth reading as well.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th January 2016
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
I want to resurrect this to clear up some ambiguities:
Your question isn't at all about xterm--it's about the /bin/sh program on the different BSDs.
I thought this line clarified that I was using the default shells in the respective BSD's
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
The following works with the default shell in FreeBSD and NetBSD:

The problem I ran into with the book I purchased is that different syntax specifications for the various shells were scattered all through the book.

Although I have a rough idea about operators, declaring variables and flow, I am not at all facile with OpenBSD's modified Korn shell.