DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th February 2011
Knuth's homeboy

Default gdm3 suspend on linux

I just upgraded to gdm3 on Debian6 and as a result the hibernate & suspend option has disappeared from the Gnome shutdown menu.

Apparently there is an /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf configuration file but its just an empty file with NO documentation whatsoever!

1) How i can get back my suspend/hibernate option in Gnome

2) Whats the command to suspend/hibernate in Linux? (for the life of me i can't figure this out...argh!)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th February 2011
Fdisk Soldier

I think this is what you're looking for. As I read here:

Quote:
"In GNOME 3.0, we’re defaulting to suspending the computer when the user shuts the lid, and not providing any preferences combobox to change this. This is what the UI designers for GNOME 3.0 want, and is probably a step in the right direction. We really can’t keep working around bugs in the kernel with extra UI controls."

If your laptop lid is closed but there is an external display attached, the system should not suspend, except for black-listed notebooks. This though cannot be configured from any user-interface setting. However, it looks like there may at least be a dconf / GSettings key that can at least be manipulated to change this behavior.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th February 2011
Knuth's homeboy

pm-hibernate & pm-suspend are the commands used to suspend/hibernate, they are part of the pm-utils package.
somehow that package had gone missing on me m/c :-P
installed it, everything is working now ;-)