DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th May 2008
Shell Scout

Default Is something broken in BSD-Gnome2

I was shocked to here that bsdforums was abandoned and wish to see all members of bsdforums here.

I'm trying to install gnome2-lite from ports. I tried it in 6.3 and in 7 but both time compilation failed after about 3 or 4 hours. I'm installing it the way I use to do it earlier, but no luck this time. Is this known or is there a workaround, apart from installing it from packages . I don't remember where it is failing but very much sure that it failed on the same spot all 3 times.

Here is what I'm doing
1. Install the base system
2. Compile and configure xorg
3. Compile gnome2-lite (this is when it fails)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th May 2008
Uber Geek

Why don't you just save yourself the grief and add the package?

Can you post the error......
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
Here is what I'm doing
1. Install the base system
2. Compile and configure xorg
3. Compile gnome2-lite (this is when it fails)
It has been quite a while since I have installed Gnome from scratch, but your procedure is fine. I would strongly advise you to update both the base (minor issues, none for Gnome), xorg and Gnome by cvsupping the ports before you install. What versions of these did your installation attempt?

The error messages you receive are critical -- without them, no one here can help.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th May 2008
Shell Scout

Here is the error message
===> Verifying install for mount_fusefs in /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-kmod
===> fusefs-kmode-0.3.9.p1.20080208_1 requires the userland sources to be installed. Set SRC_BASE if it is not in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-kmod.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gvfs.
*** Error code 1

.......... Stop in list continues................
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

the error message tells you everything:
Code:
===> fusefs-kmode-0.3.9.p1.20080208_1 requires the userland sources to be installed. Set SRC_BASE if it is not in /usr/src.
you need to get the sources. i usually get them using csup(1) using a config file from /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ changing the tag to the desired version
Code:
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_7_0 --- for 7.0 RELEASE
all the best,
v

Last edited by Carpetsmoker; 7th May 2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Fix csup manpage link
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th May 2008
Shell Scout

This was not the case earlier. Everytime I use to give command

cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome2-lite && make install clean

Every thing use to go smoothly.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Gnome keeps changing, and it is a very Linux-centric group of programs. It appears that it now needs userland sources (which I always have installed anyway) to install if you use the port. Oh well!
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th May 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
which I always have installed anyway
cant w just install the userland sources from ports . This is something new for me.

Here is what I'm going to try this evening:

# csup -h cvsup4.de.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile

and in standard-supfile I'll add/change the following line

I didn't specify userland source any where, so is it going to fetch all the source in /usr/src

Also I read that I can't delete these files as I'll need them later during upgrades. So how much space the source is going to occupy. If it is going to take lot of space like >= 500 then better install gnome from the packages or install KDE.

Please let me know if anything is wrong.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
cant w just install the userland sources from ports . This is something new for me.
No. The kernel and userland are the two parts that make up FreeBSD. The ports system work with ports, or third-party software that is not part of the OS.

Quote:
...in standard-supfile I'll add/change the following line

I didn't specify userland source any where, so is it going to fetch all the source in /usr/src
Yes, you did: you specified it as 7.0-RELEASE. If this is the OS version you are running, then this is correct. (I didn't check your csup command carefully.)
Quote:
Also I read that I can't delete these files as I'll need them later during upgrades. So how much space the source is going to occupy. If it is going to take lot of space like >= 500 then better install gnome from the packages or install KDE.
/usr/src for me is about 400MB, but that includes all of the intermediate files (I've not cleaned it up). If you ever want to build a kernel, or keep up with security patches (if you use a custom kernel) you really should have the OS sources installed.

You are certainly free to install the GNOME package, or use KDE. I'd not make the decision on whether it is worthwhile to install the OS source, though. It usually is a very small part of the installation size by the time you have various other ports and "stuff" installed. I have about 100GB installed, which includes various ISOs, a couple of virtual machines, and about 1200 ports. So I don't really bother much with .4GB of /usr/src.
Old 7th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Mainstream windows managers (and their display manager) increasingly add functions formerly provided by the OS, the file system, and X. Adding yet another layer, adding a source of conflicts between your legacy security settings. (i.e.: who is in control of file permissions, or which one has the last word when enabling/disabling port forwarding for ssh).

As they say in the financial markets: "In doubt, stay out". Both GNOME and KDE now are off limits on my production systems.
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlamb View Post
Both GNOME and KDE now are off limits on my production systems.
Depends what you produce, I suppose. For servers I agree: they don't even need X11, let alone a full-blown desktop environment. If your production comes from desktop tasks, then I do not.
Old 7th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Right. I do use KDE and GNOME from LiveCDs.
I also understand that, one may chose either (or others) windows managers when installing a desktop.
My point is that, when you install a desktop, you should say that you run that window manager final dot.
Using said window manager "on" FreeBSD or OpenSolaris or Linux does not makes sense as said windows manager takes over some functions which should be left at OS or networking level.
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlamb View Post
Using said window manager "on" FreeBSD or OpenSolaris or Linux does not makes sense as said windows manager takes over some functions which should be left at OS or networking level.
Fair enough, but you still use the OS for a whole host of tasks, including updating. And with Gnome, you don't have to use things like automounting -- by default these sorts of features are turned off. You have to choose to turn them on by permissions, starting daemons and things like that.
Old 8th May 2008
Shell Scout

Default Solved :)

Thanks Guys. It worked.