DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th June 2011
New User

Default cyphertite BETA 0.1.4 - Secure offsite data backup!

For anyone who is not familiar, Cyphertite is a tar-like secure remote archiver. It deduplicates, compresses, and encrypts data prior to transmission, providing total privacy while reducing unnecessary wire traffic. It seamlessly supports IPv6 and IPv4 on a variety of platforms.

We are currently running a public beta test. The goal of our beta run is to work out bugs that could offline our systems before we offer a paid service. We have kept the registration information we request from any interested parties to an absolute minimum to encourage usage.

As of today, we have released an updated version of the BETA software and encourage you to try it out if you are at all interested in a secure offsite backup solution. Visit https://www.cyphertite.com to register for an account if you don't already have one. You can also download the newest software from the products page. Enjoy!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th June 2011
Banned

Will users testing Cyphertite be allowed to keep their account after the beta for free? or at a reduced fee, or will all data & accounts be purged and nothing gained by us volunteering our time?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2011
Fdisk Soldier

I was interested in it but I cannot see any pricing.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2011
New User

From those posts I see 3 questions: After BETA, will the data users have backed up be wiped? What is the pricing after BETA? Also, is there a benefit for participation in the BETA? Answers below.

After BETA, will the data users have backed up be wiped?
At this point, we see no reason to wipe any data that was uploaded during BETA. If it is determined certain code changes are necessary, you may have to re-run the backup process to re-create your metadata only. In that case, all the chunks will already be stored on our servers, so re-running the backup will result in very low wire traffic and should complete quickly. However, major code changes may not be necessary and your data will be available with no hassle once the BETA ends if you choose to transition to official release.

What is the pricing after BETA?
Here are the pricing details as they stand now. We are 90% sure this will be the model once we move out of BETA, but I cannot guarantee anything at this point.
You will not pay per client machine, you will pay according to the amount of data stored on our servers. This works well with our de-duplication process that saves you storage space.
We intend to charge USD 2.00 per 20 GB of space used per month. We allocate in 20 GB segments since it provides the simplest way to bill users. If you need another segment any time during the month, the cost will be pro-rated for that segment. The allocation will be automatic when you fill up your existing segments.
We intend to release a Windows and Mac version of the software later this year, and we will charge for the client software on those platforms. Specific cost TBD.

Is there a benefit for participation in the BETA?
That is a great question and we are talking about that often. My take is, you participate and help us tweak the software for a seamless experience once we finalize and release. You also have the opportunity to suggest features that will personally benefit you after learning and using the software. Of course these features will probably benefit most users so you help give to the community in that way. As for a monetary benefit, that is still being discussed.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2011
Banned

In that case, I'm still going to have to pass.. no guarantees, and there don't seem to be a lot of incentives available.