DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th February 2020
Arp Constable

Default Experience with 4G LTE sim card routers

I'm in a rural area with marginal ADSL service. It looks like some new technology could be a cost effective upgrade for me and I was wonder if anyone else is utilizing this?

The Details:

The Device:
https://ltefix.com/shop/routers/lte-...26-lte-router/

Cat3 modem for US Cell providers
https://ltefix.com/shop/modems/sierr...-4g-lte-modem/

Howto put it together:
https://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=233

There is also a youtube video that illustrates assembly and states it essentially a MoFi with $200 savings.

Comes with older OpenWRT software that can be easily upgraded:
https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_ex...Brand*~%5D=ZBT

T-mobile has an unlimited data plan for Seniors, I qualify .

I do not know sqat about cell phones or sim cards. My main concern is making sure it works with an ATT, or T-Mobil or Verizon sim card in my area. Anyone getting access via a Cell phone, tablet sim card?

Last edited by shep; 6th February 2020 at 11:06 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th February 2020
New User

Hi shep -
I used a similar setup quite some time ago, pre-4G. It used a wifi router, I think it was a Sierra Wireless device, and the 3G card acquired directly from the cellular provider, in my case it was ATT at the time. Worked fine, and the one I had was portable enough it could be used as a "hotspot" when traveling. Ideally the plan would have either no data cap, or a high cap, which it looks like the T-mobile plan would give you. You'd just need to make sure that the 4G device is "unlocked" and not tied to a carrier, and of course t-mobile compatible, and that t-mobile will let you BYOD for that plan.

The NoContract subreddit is helpful with plan info like you're looking for. Also check HowardForums, you may find info there as well.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th February 2020
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Location: hot,dry,dusty,rainy,windy,straight winds, tornado,puts the fear of God in you-Texas

Don't know if this applies or helps ..........
For Home Use I use Consummer Cellular with a 25G monthly plan (which I haven't exceeded so far) I use an Android Smart Phone teathered to a Linux Desktop.
Works just fine. All is reconized via usb connecting Android Ph & Linux Desktop. (OS is Linux Lite) Nice feature of this setup allows me to monitor traffic using Wireshark on a laptop via SSH (to save screen space) while monitoring Androids IP traffic to/from world, as well as both machines internal SSH traffic.

In addition, one can login to their site entering account info and see realtime bandwidth usage graphically. Their customer service is outstanding.

Last edited by frcc; 7th February 2020 at 06:09 PM. Reason: add info and spelling
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th February 2020
Arp Constable

Openwrt compatibile devices can measure monthly bandwidth either via openssh or a tab in the Luci web interface.:
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/..._caps_gb_quota.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th February 2020
Too dumb for a smartphone

Thanks for that link, I use an OpenWRT router, and the pointer to the files like

/sys/devices/virtual/net/br-lan/statistics/rx_bytes

is interesting. Before my daily shut down I usually go into Luci and look at the bandwidth used under the Network tab. One could also just ssh in and do an ifconfig. But using the tx_bytes and rx_bytes files it should be easy to write a shell script to do it.