DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd August 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default Red Hat servers compromised

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedo.../msg00012.html
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd August 2008
Uber Geek

What is the point of this post ?

don't post links for no reason - it's irritating for everyone

Forum Netiquette
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd August 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Tanked, the best way to do it might have been a less sensational title in the Linux section. Something like RedHat servers apparently compromised, which is a more accurate assessment. Then, the link becomes useful for those who use RH servers at work or home.

For you CentOS folks, there is a thread on their forums, the CentOS developers are checking as I type. Things seems OK (actually, this is the public stance for RH and Fedora as well).
At any rate, I would far rather they were overly cautious about it rather than overly nochalant.

As Corey_James pointed out, however, with a fairly sensationalist title and a link with no comment, it makes us look like the National Enquirer. (For those outside of the US, that's one of the well-know papers that will print the articles about seeing Elvis on a space ship. For those really young ones, Elvis doesn't refer to the default Slack and Deb version of vi, it refers to a well known performer who died several years ago.)
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2008
Administrator

Moved from Off-topic section to Linux section
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post

For you CentOS folks, there is a thread on their forums, the CentOS developers are checking as I type. Things seems OK (actually, this is the public stance for RH and Fedora as well).
At any rate, I would far rather they were overly cautious about it rather than overly nochalant.
I've posted a couple of threads at the home site forum but it's not that busy. Do you have an alternative forum for Centos where it's active such as this forum?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Fedora, perhaps. There, the issue was slightly different though, I don't quite remember all the details.

CentOS is a small and slow forum. A lot of folks go to Fedora for forums instead. Of course, there's a lot of noise, and I confess I'm often part of it--at present, a bunch of us have a thread going, playing a Japanese word game, although at least some are using Fedora to enter their selection.

Still, it's a nice community, and you can often get CentOS help there too. Despite the noise, there are some knowledgeable folks around.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th August 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Some Windows people are trumping it as proof of their manhood over Linux. Not that the intrusion isn't bad but wasn't this something along the lines of "we saw and caught a leak but fixed it well before the dam broke"? Or maybe someone can word it better? Or was this as bad as they're making it out to be?
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th August 2008
ISO Quartermaster

I believe you're right, that they caught it before it did much damage. However they're being rather quiet about it, while they investigate. Judging from the official announcements, anyway, it seems as if it was nipped in the bud.

As for Windows folks, that's kind of a glass house of cards to mix metaphors.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th August 2008
Local

tanked, thanks for the heads up. Not very specific, but it's a good reminder that while some OSes have better immune systems than others, in the end everyone is at risk. (Security in layers...!)
ISO Quartermaster

anomie, I believe you use CentOS rather than RH, correct? They have their own repos and are doing their own checking. It's on their forums somewhere.
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/...15921&forum=42

Looks like they're probably OK.
Old 25th August 2008
Local

I primarily use RHEL at work and CentOS at home. Thanks for the URL. It's certainly piqued my curiosity.