DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th December 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Default Load balancing on fbsd

Does anyone have a link to something about load balancing with freebsd with servers? Especially compared to Windows Server? Someone is trying to tell me that Windows does a better job but I can't find any info on it. He's talking of load balancing using clusters but I have a feeling he doesn't really know what he's talking about. Not that I do but some of what he says doesn't make sense to me. Isn't load balancing a function of the server software and not the OS?

Last edited by drhowarddrfine; 27th December 2008 at 11:30 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th December 2008
Administrator

There are hardware and software solutions for load balancing. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Load_balancing_(computing)

OpenBSD has a software balancer called relayd, formerly known as hostated. See http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.c...layd&sektion=8
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th December 2008
VPN Cryptographer

I know those links but isn't load balancing normally carried on by an applicaton and not the OS directly? The guy is trying to preach to me that there is no way FreeBSD or Linux can beat Windows Server 2008 in clustering for load balancing but isn't Server a web server/OS combination? If so, couldn't I have to argue that a comparable product would be FreeBSD/nginx?

The wiki article says load balancing is usually handled by an application. This guy I think is saying that SMP on fbsd7 does not apply to clustering for load balancing but wouldn't it? I'm not experienced in this area enough to argue back but this guy is saying things that just don't make sense to me.

I'm hoping someone has some performance comparisons.