DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th August 2013
Shell Scout

Default turn off error notifications

I'm using NetBSD 6.1. When there is an error (f.ex. network card inaccessible), a notification about it appears on console marked with green color, even when I'm typing login/password or working in 'vi'. How do I turn off these annoying notifications?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th August 2013
Arp Constable

There may be several ways to deal with the messages:
1) Turn off and ignore Portmap messages FAQ

2) Address the hardware issue. My attempts to use NetBSD with an atheros wireless network card generate frequent error messages regarding the device timing out. Setting
Code:
hw.ath0.txintrperiod=1
in /etc/sysctl.conf helps. You might want to either post your error messages or paste the message into your favorite search engine
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th August 2013
Administrator

From syslog.conf(5)
Code:
     # Log all kernel messages, authentication messages of
     # level notice or higher and anything of level err or
     # higher to the console.
     # Don't log private authentication messages!
     *.err;kern.*;auth.notice;authpriv.none  /dev/console
Put a '#' in front of the last line and restart syslogd
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th August 2013
Shell Scout

Thank you everyone for your advice! Sadly, neither recipe helped. The main message I'm getting is the following one which comes when my laptop has no LAN cable:

alc0: wathcdog timeout (missed link)

I commented both lines in /etc/syslog.conf:

#*.err;kern.*;auth.notice;authpriv.none /dev/console
#*.notice;auth.debug root

and nothing happened, the messages keep on appearing. I also put a line "hw.alc0.txintrperiod=1" to /etc/sysctl.conf, nothing changed either.

Of course I always can switch to a user account and enjoy myself there. But I'm using this NetBSD installation mostly for hacking the system (it's not my main OS) and sometimes stay under root for quite a while, so I need to know what's going wrong.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th August 2013
More noise than signal

These are kernel messages. Changing syslog settings only affects what is logged, not what is presented to the console. So, switch to an alternate tty. The kernel will continue to post messages to the console, but you won't see them until you switch back to it.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2013
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
These are kernel messages. Changing syslog settings only affects what is logged, not what is presented to the console. So, switch to an alternate tty. The kernel will continue to post messages to the console, but you won't see them until you switch back to it.
Thank you, this seems to be the only way to go so far. These notifications keep coming on tty1 no matter whether I'm logged as root or user. The other terminals are safe from it indeed, be it root or user.