DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th February 2012
Port Guard

Default ftp proxy and pf.conf rules (From The Book of PF, 2nd Ed)

I am updating my primary firewall to 5.0 and taking the opportunity to clean up my ruleset a little at the same time.

I am using The Book of PF 2nd Edition as a guide to setting up the ftp proxy.

The book says I'll only need three things in my pf.conf to make the proxy work (after enabling ftpproxy_flags in rc.conf.local):

The anchor line - anchor "ftp-proxy/*"
A pass in rule - pass in quick proto tcp to port ftp rdr-to 127.0.0.1 port 8021
A pass out rule - pass out proto tcp from $proxy to any port ftp

I originally had more restrictive pass rules in place, but pfctl wouldn't load the ruleset because it said the "proxy" macro wasn't defined so I entered the lines as written but get the same warning.

Am I supposed to substitute something for $proxy in my rules, or is that pass-out implicit in the proxy?

Thanks
kmb
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th February 2012
More noise than signal

You have missed a critical document, the OpenBSD Upgrade Guide 5.0. I'm going to quote from it:
Quote:
PF changes requiring changes to your pf.conf rules

ftp-proxy(8) and tftp-proxy(8) have changed: They now use divert-to instead of rdr-to, which improves performance. Old rules like these:
pass in quick proto tcp to port ftp rdr-to 127.0.0.1 port 8021 pass in quick on internal proto udp to port tftp rdr-to 127.0.0.1 port 6969
should be replaced with:
pass in quick inet proto tcp to port ftp divert-to 127.0.0.1 port 8021 pass in quick on internal inet proto udp to port tftp divert-to 127.0.0.1 port 6969
Note that with divert-to, the address family (in this example inet) must be specified explicitly.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th February 2012
Port Guard

Thanks for that.

I've updated my ruleset to use divert-to and specify inet, so there don't seem to be any errors there. I'm still not sure about that pass out rule - I'll be rereading the ftp and ftp-proxy man pages and doing some more testing.

Postscript: The link to the upgrade guides is very appreciated. I don't know if I had ever seen them before.

kmb
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th February 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
I don't know if I had ever seen them before.
You should take the time to review each upgrade guide for any prior upgrades you've performed. In 2008, you had a thread related to a 4.2->4.3 upgrade issue, and in it mentioned a 4.2 base install. If this is the same system, please review the upgrade guides from 4.3 onward to ensure you have implemented all recommended manual changes. You may be running with out-of-date configuration files, at the very least.

With 4.4, the sysmerge(8) command became available, allowing automatic or semi-automatic updates to files in /etc and /var during upgrades. Prior to 4.4, such as with 4.3, sysutils/mergemaster was available.