DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

Old 12th May 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
Not really. mailx and nail have a close relationship, you'll have to read the History link at the heirloom mailx site to get an idea of how they're entangled. mutt is a completely different beast.
what I meant by == is that they are all MUA's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
No of course not. I am apologize for hijacking your thread. I am a Heilrloom mailx (aka. Nail) user so I used it to illustrate some of my answers. I see that now that I just caused confusion. Mutt is of course very different MUA and since I already admitted that I am clueless about it, this will be my last post in this thread.

Sorry,
Oko
No need to apologize, no harm was done, in fact I learned a new thing today.

here is the deal, I am looking for something to be portable across OS's (I have a small part with Linux as a backup plane, just in case -current failed me at some point) and it gotta be easy to deal with or at least have a straight cut-to-the-chase docs that I can follow.

now the names I am considering is mutt/mailx/alpine

I will be checking on fdm to see if I need it at all or not
Old 13th May 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmemo View Post
here is the deal, I am looking for something to be portable across OS's (I have a small part with Linux as a backup plane, just in case -current failed me at some point) and it gotta be easy to deal with or at least have a straight cut-to-the-chase docs that I can follow.

now the names I am considering is mutt/mailx/alpine

I will be checking on fdm to see if I need it at all or not
Mailx is "standard" Unix MUA. You will find it on all systems. On Linux, Solaris it is actually Heirloom mailx (MIME support+IMAP). On NetBSD it is enhanced Berkley mail (has MIME but no IMAP). On OpenBSD and FreeBSD it is just classical Berkley
(no MIME yet but could be ported from NetBSD (so you will need Heirloom mailx from ports or mpack for MIME and fdm for IMAP). I do not know on DragonFly but in the worst case scenario it is just like FreeBSD. The same is in Cygwin.

If you go mutt, alpine, nmh route you need to add MUA as oppose to using one from the base. My advice is pick one and stick to it!

In the terms of dealing with huge amount of emails and doing lots of scripting and automatic mail sending stuff nmh is THE best. It also has the best e-mail file system (for archiving) and searching.
Mailx is OK for the same purpose but definitely inferior.

Alpine is for individual use (sort of Thunderbird of early 90s). I am not that familiar with Mutt.

I for example also like Opera e-mail client. It is OK for general use for people who must have GUI. Sylpheed is very good with a GUI. Claws as well. The only one that I really, really dislike in Unix world is Evolution.

You can also use nmh with GUI. I think it is called exnm. There is even Emacs interface for nmh.
Among old school GUI MUA you can find things like TkRat.

Last edited by Oko; 13th May 2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 13th May 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Disciplined & regular use of dump(8) & restore(8) would accomplish the same goal.
"That's one small step for a qmemo, a giant leap for qmemo too" --qmemo

Perhaps with time I will be prave and more talented enough to trust my skills on doing it the right way; how ever I am heavily considering it.

that's why I made sure that the linux portion is so small to be forced on using OpenBSD and getting things done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Mailx is "standard" Unix MUA. You will find it on all systems. On Linux, Solaris it is actually Heirloom mailx (MIME support+IMAP). On NetBSD it is enhanced Berkley mail (has MIME but no IMAP). On OpenBSD and FreeBSD it is just classical Berkley
(no MIME yet but could be ported from NetBSD (so you will need Heirloom mailx from ports or mpack for MIME and fdm for IMAP). I do not know on DragonFly but in the worst case scenario it is just like FreeBSD. The same is in Cygwin.

If you go mutt, alpine, nmh route you need to add MUA as oppose to using one from the base. My advice is pick one and stick to it!

In the terms of dealing with huge amount of emails and doing lots of scripting and automatic mail sending stuff nmh is THE best. It also has the best e-mail file system (for archiving) and searching.
Mailx is OK for the same purpose but definitely inferior.

Alpine is for individual use (sort of Thunderbird of early 90s). I am not that familiar with Mutt.

I for example also like Opera e-mail client. It is OK for general use for people who must have GUI. Sylpheed is very good with a GUI. Claws as well. The only one that I really, really dislike in Unix world is Evolution.

You can also use nmh with GUI. I think it is called exnm. There is even Emacs interface for nmh.
Among old school GUI MUA you can find things like TkRat.
I think I will spend this night considering mutt & nail (from ports)

Heirloom mailx from ports is still called nail

mail(1) from base, will still not sure about it too.

this thread is much informative so far
Old 16th May 2011
Package Pilot

I got mutt and fdm up and running finally, even better; I learned how to make fdm send each mail to a specific folder, I learned how to make mutt change identities a long with changing mail directories.

all this is fine, except.

mutt still do not love yahoo, when I tried sending a test email its either time outs or SASL Failed.
my other imap account for some reason it time outs too when I try to send a test email.

the only working accounts with mutt are the gmail's

HELP!
Old 16th May 2011
Fdisk Soldier

I had the same problem. After some searching, I removed mutt and replaced it with mutt-[version]-sasl. Everything is in perfect working order now.
Old 16th May 2011
Package Pilot

Default [SOLVED]

@Daffy

I am using the same pkg you mentioned (mutt-1.5.21v0-sasl)

and that's my smtp rule

Code:
 set smtp_url= smtp://mr.vieq@smtp.mail.yahoo.com:587/
I tried using port 465, but it keeps timing out.

using port 587, SASL authentication failed

//update!

To hell with yahoo!

http://www.crasseux.com/linux/

mutt needs to be patched in order to use it with mutt, I moved all my stuff from yahoo to gmail and that's it!

Last edited by qmemo; 17th May 2011 at 10:55 PM.

Tags
fdm, mutt