Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd February 2010
Administrator

Default PC-BSD 8.0 "Hubble Edition" arrives

From http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...es-937750.html

Quote:
The PC-BSD developers have announced the availability of version 8.0, the "Hubble Eidtion", of their open source operating system.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd February 2010
Administrator

Juts tried it on my Lenovo X300 ...

At the installation you can create ZFS filesystem, but only with on disk and only with one dataset ... useless.

Also after reboot it detected GeForce FX 5500 ... (dekstop card in laptop?) and attached vesa driver to it (so why they yell so much that they have binary nVidia blob even with amd64?) ... while I have Intel X3100 ...

I would consider that 'release' as BETA and wait for 8.1 or 8.0.1

... but I liked the splash screen

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd February 2010
Arp Constable

Ahh good, now I can get ready to make my review... and hope they don't ban me lol.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd February 2010
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Also after reboot it detected GeForce FX 5500 ... (dekstop card in laptop?) and attached vesa driver to it (so why they yell so much that they have binary nVidia blob even with amd64?) ... while I have Intel X3100 ...
Wow, this is actually pretty hard to mess up, just read the PCI vendor ID (10DE for nvidia, and 8086 for Intel) ... How can you get this wrong ...
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th February 2010
Administrator

@Carpetsmoker

Even more strange, is that X -configure on that laptop properly sets up intel driver ...

Maybe they do that 'recognition' in some other way and that messed up everything, dunno really

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd