DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd February 2011
Arp Constable

Default Xfce4 4.8 current Polkit Shutdown

Has anyone ventured into Xfce 4.8 (uploaded to current last week) and tried to set up user shutdown using Consolekit? The documentation is lagging: xfce4-session README still suggests /usr/local/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper which no longer exists.

It looks like consolekit will be the new way for users to shutdown/reboot. The xfce site says it is basically a mess
Quote:
How xfce4-session handles power management is a bit of a mess. It can use HAL to shutdown, reboot, suspend, and hibernate, or fall back to a sudo-based helper for shutdown and reboot.

I'd like to get the HAL-based suspend/hibernate related code out of xfce4-session, or at least relegate it to a fallback. When DeviceKit-power becomes more well-used, HAL will likely go away anyway, and I'd like to avoid supporting a lot of different things of this nature since I don't think it should be the session manager's job. Ali has written a wonderful power manager for Xfce, and it does a great job of handling suspend and hibernate, so we should pass off those tasks to the org.freedesktop.PowerManagement DBus interface when possible.

However, handling of rebooting and shutting down is a bit more complicated. It's unclear as to whether the SM or PM should be handling these tasks.

There's also ConsoleKit, which is capable of rebooting and shutting down the system. My gut feeling here is that CK should be the preferred method for reboot/shutdown.

Status: 90% complete. Some details might need to be improved. Needs testing.
I'm guessing the OpenBSD developers went the Consolekit route but have yet to write the documentation.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd February 2011
More noise than signal

I've avoided this "upgrade". I'm considering switching to Fluxbox for daily use. I've already made the switch on platforms I don't touch regularly.