DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2009
New User

Default open BSD - Please help it's emergency

I need some help if it's posible.

I have to configure 2 network cards on a computer that should serve as a DNS server on a OpenBSD as an OS.

As much as I understand network cards are configured in hostname (network card name).

When I opend that file (concrete hostname.d0) was written:

dhcp NONE NONE NONE

And following the instructiones for openBSD I wrote

inet IPadresa-računala 255.255.255.0 NONE

Is that ok?

Also, I can't find how to configure second network card. I know that one should be configured for local network (for about 10 computers) and another for "going out" (-apology for bad english i'm from croatia) but i don't understand how to configure which one more specific in which one do I write for example IP of gateway.

I made in /etc mygate directory in which I wrote gateways IP.
As I could understand from manual gateway should be read from there by default.

For now when ever i ping some other computer or server I get the message

"no route to host".

Can somebody please help?

again sorry for bad english I hope you understand what is my problem and that you can help me

Last edited by kla; 2nd June 2009 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Title
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kla View Post
...I have to configure 2 network cards on a computer that should serve as a DNS server...
A DNS server only converts domain names to IP addresses, and only needs a single NIC. Is it possible this machine will be used as a router, or, as a firewall? It is not clear what you intend to do. From what you've written, it looks like you intend it to be a router.
Quote:
When I opend that file (concrete hostname.d0)...
  1. Is this a pre-existing system, or a new install?
  2. I do not know what "d0" is, but it is not a NIC on OpenBSD. NIC names are driver names, followed by a number, such as: ne3, wpi0, vr1.
The output from:

# ifconfig

will list your NICs.
Quote:
dhcp NONE NONE NONE
This is how one configures a NIC that uses a DHCP server to assign a dynamic IP address and other network settings. For example, if your ISP assigns your IP address dynamically, DHCP is likely used.
Quote:
And following the instructiones for openBSD I wrote

inet IPadresa-računala 255.255.255.0 NONE

Is that ok?
I don't know what you are trying to do. Do you intend to change a dynamic IP address to a static IP address?
Quote:
Also, I can't find how to configure second network card.
The second card has a second NIC. Look for it in the output of ifconfig.

To use OpenBSD as a router, you must enable packet forwarding. Edit /etc/sysctl.conf, and set net.inet.ip.forwarding=1.

If your local network to-be-routed is a private network, you must enable NAT. That can only be done with PF.

Tell us more about what you are trying to accomplish, and we can provide more help.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2009
New User

Thx I still have problems, I posted it in new thread:
I need to set up a firewall and a DNS server on a single computer
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
...I posted it in new thread...
There was no need, your new thread is on the same topic, merely clarifying your question.

For those forum members who wish to follow this "conversation" to the new thread, here is a link: http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=3381
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Here's the thing: i'm a student of computer sciences and i needed to make a small project for one of my courses that basically deals with introductory elements of networking. .
Here is the thing. I teach at a University. If I caught my student trying to complete a project by bugging people to do his work on BSD forums instead of reading textbooks, I would fail him.

Now, go back to your room. Get yourself a nice blanket, fold it couple times, and put on your work chair. Then sit down and study. When you think you did study enough you get up and unfold the blanket. If you do not see steam coming out it means that you didn't study enough. Quickly fold the blanket back so that it doesn't cool of and continue to study.