DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th August 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default link_elf error while loading gspca.ko

I wanted to see if a usb-cam could work in my freebsd 7, so I tried some listed modules. pwc.ko loaded but the cam did not work. So I tried gspca.ko from http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/Free...x_bsd_kld.html but I the module did not load because of the error
Code:
link_elf: symbol msleep undefined
I see that this msleep problem is mentioned elsewhere but no solutions.
Any suggestions about what to do?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th September 2008
Video-4-BSD

Default msleep on Linux vs. FreeBSD

I've often wondered about the differences between the Linux msleep and FreeBSD msleep -- I've actually lost some sleep thinking about it. They appear to be the same in name only. Am I confused here? If so, jump in and correct me.

The Linux msleep simply goes into a while spin-loop counting down a timeout on schedule_timeout_uninterruptible( ). It seems to be a closer match to the Standard C library call: usleep.

The FreeBSD msleep seems to be a different beast entirely. A better name would be 'mutex_sleep' since that is what it does. In fact, we shouldn't use FreeBSD msleep since it has been depreciated, use mtx_sleep instead.

For linux_kmod_compat would a better match to the Linux msleep be the FreeBSD kernel function pause?:
void pause(const char *wmesg, int timo);
or is there something better for use in the kernel, drivers, and KLDs?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

If you are using the kernel module from that site, I think it is very out of date. (the rest of the site is, at any rate)

Linux-gspca-kmod is in the ports at /usr/ports/multimedia/linux-gspca-kmod. Other options are linux-ov511-kmod and pwcbsd, also in multimedia/.
Possibly, msleep, having been depreciated, has now been removed. If you build from ports, it won't use it. (I am using gspca on my 7.S system right now.)

Last edited by robbak; 11th September 2008 at 12:10 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th September 2008
Port Guard

It's a problem with the Makefile/sources...
It never reads you are in FreeBSD 7.0... Now I am at a WinXP station with no access to the code, but I'll send you an update once I get home.

If you can't wait, go over the source files and comment out any IF $OSVERSION referring to FreeBSD 7 or greater and the corresponding END, especially the one referring to msleep. You can also delete the IF loops for FreeBSD6.x

Hope this helps. I have been able to make my Logitech Webcam work with this hack... However, kopete will not recognize it, but you can play around streaming with VLC