DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th February 2015
New User

Default Samba/rsync backup, delete file problem.

Hi,

I just installed OpenBSD 5.6 i386 on a Alix 2.2.
My goal is to have a small internal file server on my local net, with a backup to a local machine. I use CF to the OS and a USB HD to the file storage (no RAID, just a single disk). I use Samba to share the disk to my computers (OpenBSD, OSX and WIn7) and everything works fine. I user rsync as the backup/clone system if the disk crash (the ”backup” is on a Mac). It works... but, if I use Swedish letters in a folder or a file, rsync delete the already existing ”backup files” (on the Mac) and the copy it again! Every time I run rsync. How come?
If I use English letters, no problem! Everything works perfect.

The rsync command runs on my mac, not on the file server. This because I don’t have my Mac on 24/7, and the Mac will trigger the fileserver to make the backups.
When this work, crontab will do everything for me.

The rsync command:
rsync -avzP --log-file=rs.log --delete backup@10.30.45.15:/disk/TheVault /Volumes/BackUp/TheVault

rsync ver. on fileserver (OpenBSD 5.6 i386): rsync-3.1.1
rsync ver. on backup (OSX 10.9.5): rsync version 2.6.9 protocol version 29

The USB HD (on OpenBSD) is auto mounted as: sd0a /disk ffs rw 1 0
I will have this disk encrypted when everything works well.

OpenBSD is uptodate and patched, also the Mac.

I build this setup to replace my existing cloud that is online (I don’t need the online stuff). It works quiet well, but I don’t want my files online any more, even if they are all encrypted. Then, it’s laging to sync via the computers. It’s very annoying.

What I don’t like with my samba/rsync solution is that I need to work on my small fileserver as my main files share. It’s only a 100Mbit/s NIC on the Alix, and a USB interface disk etc. It’s slow.. And, I would rather have the files locally on each computer, then have the file server as backup/copy machine (I have a laptop that will not have the files on it! It’s not good). Today, I have my files on all my local machines (and can work with them fast), that’s sync to the cloud, and syncs back to the other machines (with lags). I like that.
But, that’s hard to fix with my samba/rsync without lag (crontab). Or?
I have been thinking of some rsync trigger on file modification. Someone with experience of that?
I also have some thoughts on a rsync ”internal cloud” there I have all files on my computers and the Alix file server as the "master copy machine". rsync with --update --existing etc. commands. But... I see problem...

Any tips to a better solution? I don’t want to use a cloud solutions, as a local owncloud etc. Just a simple ”file copy to every computer backup system”.. that’s run on a small Alix.

/Ajla

Edit:

Problem and fix:
=============
Here is some problem and fixes that I noticed that maybe help others. This is made between OpenBSD (source) to OSX (dest.) via rsync on OSX.

1) Hidden files
I got problems with hidden files that rsync tried to sync, specially .temporaryitems/folders on the source.

I put [ --exclude-from 'rs-notcopy.txt' ] in my rsync command and created a ”rs-notcopy.txt” file that included: .temporaryitems

Why I use a file and not .temporaryitems in the rsync command directly is if I want to exclude some more files and folders in the future (that I thick I will).

If I will have some problem in the future, I will try .*

2) UTF8
As you can read above I had problem with Swedish letter, e.g. UTF8.

On *BSD, be sure to install: rsync-3.1.1-iconv

If you are using a MAC <->, you can’t use the inbuilt rsync 2.6.9 as it not support --iconv. So you have to get a new one. But.. 3.1.x is bugy. So I use 3.0.9 with no problem. Then, you have to run rsync from /usr/local/bin/rsync and not only rsync as it is 2.6.9.

Update rsync on the mac:

# mkdir tmp-rs && cd tmp-rs
# curl -O http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/src/rsync-3.0.9.tar.gz && curl -O http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/src/rsync-patches-3.0.9.tar.gz
# tar xvzf rsync-3.0.9.tar.gz && tar xvzf rsync-patches-3.0.9.tar.gz
# cd rsync-3.0.9 && patch -p1 <patches/fileflags.diff && patch -p1 <patches/crtimes.diff && patch -p1 <patches/hfs-compression.diff
# ./prepare-source
# ./configure
# make && make install
# cd .. && rm -R tmp-rs

You can do a alias to the new rsync.

To notice, is a different with "--iconv=UTF8-MAC,UTF-8" and "--iconv=UTF8,UTF8-MAC" depending if you push or pull.

3) My new rsync command
/usr/local/bin/rsync --iconv=UTF8-MAC,UTF-8 --log-file=rs.log --delete --exclude-from 'rs-notcopy.txt' -avzP -e 'ssh -p 22' backup@10.30.45.15:/disk/TheVault /Volumes/BackUp/TheVault

More to come...

Last edited by Ajla; 12th February 2015 at 11:56 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th February 2015
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome!

I don't use Samba or rsync, but I have seen the issue with UTF-8 characters and MAC OS X and rsync mentioned here: https://rsync.samba.org/FAQ.html
Quote:
[Your described problem] can occur with HFS+ on Mac OS X: if you copy a directory with a file that has a UTF-8 character sequence in it, say a 2-byte umlaut-u (\0303\0274), the file will get that character stored by the filesystem using 3 bytes (\0165\0314\0210), and rsync will not know that these differing filenames are the same file (it will, in fact, remove a prior copy of the file if --delete is enabled, and then recreate it).

You can avoid a charset problem by passing an appropriate --iconv option to rsync that tells it what character-set the source files are, and what character-set the destination files get stored in. For instance, the above Mac OS X problem would be dealt with by using --iconv=UTF-8,UTF8-MAC (UTF8-MAC is a pseudo-charset recognized by Mac OS X iconv in which all characters are decomposed).
I hope this small lead helps you with problem resolution.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th February 2015
New User

Hi, and thank you!

Yesterday I saw something about UTF8 when I was reading about the problem, but my brain didn’t notes it! It was most there rsync didn’t copt it all.
Well... a sign that I need more coffee...

I edit my first post.

BTW, how do I remove links? The [URL] is coming back.

Edit: Ok.. saw it with URLs ..

Last edited by Ajla; 12th February 2015 at 11:57 AM.