DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd October 2011
Fdisk Soldier

Default iwn wi-fi - "could not read firmware" - my error?

Looks like I may have spoke too soon on my new little laptop supporting wifi under OpenBSD. Or at least out of the box.

dmesg reports it has an "Intel Wifi Link 100". I did pkg_add the separately-downloaded Intel firmware per the iwn man page.

After doing an

ifconfig iwn0 nwid 'Some Hotel Network'

and then

dhclient iwn0

I see in dmesg:

iwn0: error, 2, could not read firmware iwn-1000

In /etc/firmware, there is an iwn-1000 which is a symlink to iwlwifi-1000-3.ucode (this was setup by pkg_adding the Intel firmware package). The iwlwifi-1000-3.ucode file exists and is 33056 bytes.

Anyone have any advice? I'm wondering if this is more of a user error rather than a driver problem because it's saying it "could not read" - which the man page says "For some reason, the driver was unable to read the firmware image from the filesystem". There is a separate error for "could not load firmware".
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd October 2011
More noise than signal

I don't use iwn(4). When I installed the package just now (on a old 4.7 system I have handy at the moment, in a virtual machine), I don't get symlinks, I get the firmware files themselves loaded into /etc/firmware, using http://firmware.openbsd.org/firmware...rmware-5.6.tgz as the package.

My guess is you are correct, this is user error. But it may not be. Where did you get your package?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th October 2011
Fdisk Soldier

Installing from firmware.openbsd.org worked.

The 4.9 man page refers to a free.fr site, which may not have worked correctly.