DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th October 2019
ISO Quartermaster

Default Problems installing [Shelved for now]

So, I have been a bit ill and sometimes doing installs is a nice recreation. I have a yoga2 which spews garbage during installs and I work around it. I have a page on it at http://srobb.net/yoga2.html.

Can't troubleshoot much for a couple of days as all I have is the laptop--If for example, X dies I only have the machine with no X to use.

This has run flawlessly with 6.3. I'm considering reinstalling that or going with 6.4 to see if I have luck.

So with 6.5, several tries. It's fine but X won't work. I do startx get a message giving the various look at logs and so on. It says no console driver found--sorry, using the machine and can't get the exact message but it does mention console drivers. So this is after an install.

With a current snapshot I can't get it installed. It is going fine then says (after it has shown the mirror, and networking is definitely ok, Can't get https should I use http. I tried saying yes to that but no luck. As I have said a ton of garbage is spilling on screen making it hard to catch errors.

So I'm just venting I don't need Brian or jggimi to spend effort on this. Maybe, in a few days when I'm back home, I'll try again--or maybe there will be a new install66 that works

Grumpily yours,

PS I know I've given no real useful info, again, only have the one computer and it's hard to copy it somewhere--among this computer's other faults pasting often fails.

On the bright side it was actually quite good with 6.3 and is good with FreeBSD and Linux.
It's light and the hiRes makes it nice to view media.

Last edited by scottro; 10th October 2019 at 02:08 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th October 2019
More noise than signal

Quote:
I do startx ...
You missed changes to the OS since 6.3. Here is what the Upgrade Guide 6.4 to 6.5 says:
Code:
Xorg(1). The Xorg binary is no longer installed setuid, so 
startx(1) can no longer be used by non-root users. The xenodm(1) 
display manager has to be used instead.

To set it up:

# rcctl enable xenodm
  # rcctl start xenodm

If you wish to customize X you need to create an executable .xsession 
file.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th October 2019
ISO Quartermaster

Heh. Missed that one, but of course, I just scan
Thank you. I realize their reasons, but it is an annoyance

In the interim I tried 6.4 same result, of course. So I'll do a 6.5 now.

Thanks as always
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th October 2019
ISO Quartermaster

That went badly. Installed and ran the commands. They required doas which is fine. Renamed my ~/.xinitrc to .xsession. Not sure if that was correct. Anyway it just went to a black screen.
I realize I'm full of meds right now but it does seem that there should be more detailed instructions. For example in install it asep ks do you want to use xenodm to startx with a default of no. Which is fine if there are some seriously step by step instructions.

Ah well if I ever figure it out I'll do it, but still pretty sick Thanks for the help so far though I have to more googling.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th October 2019
ISO Quartermaster

Just in case it wasn't absolutely clear, I am very grateful for your help. I will have to fix it when I feel a bit better and maybe write a page for dummies like me.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th October 2019
parrot

If you try installing again, just say "yes" and use xenodm instead, and it should just work. Hope feel better soon.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th October 2019
ISO Quartermaster

Thanks for the kind wishes. I have already done the new install but hit no.

From what I see from searching the next steps would be the two xenodm commands with doas

Code:
doas rcctlrcctl enable xenodm
doas rcctl start xenodm

I think on the last install that's when the screen went black.

Anyway assuming it didn't, I have my .xinitrc, which I have renamed to ~/.xsession. It has a few things, e.g EXPORT_GTK_IM="fcitx" (used for Japaneses input) and final line is

exec openbox-session.

So once I run the two rcctl commands, do I just run startx to call my .xsession? Or do I do more?

Thanks and sorry for this imposition. I'm almost tempted to just reinstall one more time and say yes where you said to and see if it fixes it.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th October 2019
ISO Quartermaster

http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=10812

Going to try. If it fails I will try again with your advice of choosing yes. My wife claims I say no too often anyway.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th October 2019
ISO Quartermaster

Nope went black on the reboot. I really think it because the touchscreen and such generate so much noise, that the window manager just doesn't show. Before this decision, I would actually log into the second virtual console because there was so much noise on the screen.

I have a feeling that I will only be able to use it as a console machine though I can't resist trying as Gary said, see if setting it by default fixes it. With all the junk on screen however, I think I'm just going to get a black screen but many THANKS to both Gary and jggimi
Old 9th October 2019
ISO Quartermaster

Nope, same result. Page goes black. This yoga2 spews literally hundreds of garbage lines and my guess is it just blocks off the display manager. Oh well I can still use it without X.

Thanks again to both of you.
Old 9th October 2019
parrot

Quote:
Nope, same result.
Do you mean you tried it , and selected yes to using xenodm ?
=== edited ===

When I was having trouble with this, I found that if I type , as root,
Code:
# xenodm
it started ok, then I got the xenodm login window, logged in as normal user, and every thing was ok, for a while I preferred just have the console when I booted, and did not want to be using xenodm, but later on my most recent installs , I just say yes, to use xenodm, and it just works. If I want a console I use the ctrl+alt+f2 ,etc.
I am not at all any kind of expert though, guess that is why the easiest thing to do was just start remembering to say yes, and use xenodm.
===
Can you post your dmesg out put ? Even though it will be long , it might reveal something. Thanks

Last edited by PapaParrot; 10th October 2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10th October 2019
ISO Quartermaster

I will try to get dmesg but right now things are very hectic. What I mean is yes, I did follow your advice and say yes. The laptop spews out messages constantly, having them on the first console. I am positive that that is the problem, the messages have to do mostly with the touchscreen. At this point, when any Linux and FreeBSD work well, I don't know how much time I will spend on it but I wlll try to give dmesg a shot.
Old 10th October 2019
More noise than signal

Quote:
I will try to get dmesg...
If Alt-Ctrl-F1 fails to bring up the console, then boot into single-user mode with boot> -s.
Old 10th October 2019
ISO Quartermaster

I am undecided right now. It's partially a bad mood, but basically, the laptop is fine for any system that hasn't decided their users need a display manager. It becomes more trouble than it's worth. When I get home, I'll try with my more typical laptop, just to make sure I understand using xenodm. Which I feel makes me seem ungrateful to you and Gary, but it's a matter of time and other things but we'll see.

The install is the one after the failure, so I should be able to get dmesg though.
Old 10th October 2019
ISO Quartermaster

Here is the dmesg. This was the install after X failed for the last time. This one I didn't try to use the display manager. Thanks to both of you, but please don't put much time into it, I'm already, as I typed before, annoyed with the whole premise and just wanting to make sure I understand the process on another laptop at home. That is, understand that OpenBSD now starts X only via display manager.

The yoga2, with its touchscreen, even if disabled, constantly spews junk to the screen and I do feel that's the trouble. But thanks so much to both of you for helping. These forums are always surprisingly nice. I think of things on FreeBSD forums when someone doesn't know where to look and someone will post awww, should I spoonfeed to you? But here, everyone is nice.

Sigh and after all that I cannot attach it--seems to again be the laptop's control. However I just put it online at http://srobb.net/dmesg.txt

Thanks again.
Old 10th October 2019
More noise than signal

If the "junk" is kernel messages (blue/white) about ugen2 detaching/attaching, you can either try to disable the touchscreen in BIOS, or, try disabling ugen(4) devices via boot_config(8). Example:
Code:
boot> -c
booting hd0a:/bsd: 10594072+2454544+335872+0+671744 [678428+128+854136+595475]=0xf70d30
entry point at 0x1001000
[ using 2129200 bytes of bsd ELF symbol table ]
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
        The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 1995-2019 OpenBSD. All rights reserved.  https://www.OpenBSD.org

OpenBSD 6.5 (GENERIC) #3: Sat Apr 13 14:42:43 MDT 2019
    deraadt@amd64.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC
real mem = 4278181888 (4079MB)
avail mem = 4139008000 (3947MB)
User Kernel Config
UKC> disable ugen
296 ugen* disabled
UKC> quit
Continuing...
mpath0 at root
scsibus0 at mpath0: 256 targets
mainbus0 at root
Old 10th October 2019
ISO Quartermaster

Holy Moley, I knew about disabling uhid but not ugen. There are still other messages spewing out and again getting black screen even with 6.3 now. But I will play a bit more and report back.

Hrm seems to be ignoring the disable ugen. GRR, will try again.

Last edited by scottro; 10th October 2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10th October 2019
ISO Quartermaster

Ok and then it worked. I want to swear that I changed nothing and if there little lemon like issues on this aging laptop, maybe I'm right. Anyway, disabling ugen and uhidev has stopped much of the onscreen junk but one remains.

ELAN Touchhscreen rev 2.0/0.18 addr 4 at uhb0 port 7 not configured. There is no way to disable the screen in BIOS, I've been checking and it seems one has to use Windows device manager. I don't have Windows on it though.

Although after the 6.3 failure, I'm beginning to think this laptop just isn't working with OpenBSD and X.
Though now that I know the secret I'm anxious to get home and try with X on my other laptop that doesn't have all this stuff.
Regardless of result my most sincere thanks to you guys. You're helpin' make an old man happy.
Old 10th October 2019
ISO Quartermaster

Well the only messages that appear on screen now, thanks to jggimi are the ones about the ELAN. But after putting back 6.3 and still no X, I think I'm just writing this one off and will just use in text mode for now. There seems to be a problem with it and the OpenBSD video, so I will probably try again from time to time. Meanwhile many thanks to Gary, may his parrots reign, and jggimi. I did have some fun with it, but for practical use, fortunately, whether it works or not doesn't matter.